Really Weird One- Help!

insuranceconceptscindy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
I need some help with this case. Really odd. I winged it and hopefully we don't have to undo it.

The facts:
89(!) year old woman not eligible for Medicare
US Citizen
Does not file taxes
Income comes from VA Dependency and indemnity compensation. Husband was a Phillipino fighting for the US during Vietnam and was killed. ($1500/mo)
Up until 2012, she was covered under CHAMPVA. In 2012 CHAMP changed the rules and will no longer cover these very specific dependents.
Technically, this income is not taxable income and I guess, doesn't exist in the eyes of Obamacare. She does not qualify (was rejected) for Medicare, because they don't care if it's taxable or not.

I started her app on Health Sherpa, the only thing it didn't like was the fact she did not file taxes. What if she did for 2015? Will we open a can of worms?

What would you suggest in this situation? I sort of jammed the square peg in the round hole- with son's permission, and said I was going to dig in some more.

I would forward this to her Congressman!

This when these guys earn their pay....they can get something done for her.

I need some help with this case. Really odd. I winged it and hopefully we don't have to undo it.

The facts:
89(!) year old woman not eligible for Medicare
US Citizen
Does not file taxes
Income comes from VA Dependency and indemnity compensation. Husband was a Phillipino fighting for the US during Vietnam and was killed. ($1500/mo)
Up until 2012, she was covered under CHAMPVA. In 2012 CHAMP changed the rules and will no longer cover these very specific dependents.
Technically, this income is not taxable income and I guess, doesn't exist in the eyes of Obamacare. She does not qualify (was rejected) for Medicare, because they don't care if it's taxable or not.

I started her app on Health Sherpa, the only thing it didn't like was the fact she did not file taxes. What if she did for 2015? Will we open a can of worms?

What would you suggest in this situation? I sort of jammed the square peg in the round hole- with son's permission, and said I was going to dig in some more.

Are you getting her coverage? Or coverage with a subsidy? Those are two different things.

If you just want her to have coverage, then it really doesn't matter if she files taxes or not. Technically, on the exchange you are required to file taxes.

If its just a policy, no subsidy, I would write it direct with the carrier. Bypass the exchange. The carriers don't care if she files taxes or not, they just want their premium.

No taxable income = not subsidy eligible. It's Medicaid for Seniors, or as KGMom said, buy direct from Health Insurer. Will cost at least 1/3 of her monthly income though.

Crap! She can't afford the full premium! We want a subsidy.
She makes too much for Medicaid- Medicaid doesn't care if the money is taxable or not. .

----------

What if the son adds his mom as his dependent on his taxes? If his family's income is low enough for a subsidy, would that work? I'm just thinking out loud.
The whole case is incredibly messed up. Vulnerable senior that can't get insurance. This is criminal.

Regarding trying to get her a subsidy on her own (not on her son's) - what about the fact that she is 89? I thought that the subsidy was only available to those 64 and under.

Back