SEP Enrollment Effective Date Question

My post was an attempt to apply a basic insurance problem solving approach which P&C agents seem to use all the time. Apparently it is of no interest to health agents.

It is of no interest to health agents because we are responsible for making sure our clients are actually COVERED by their health plan.

We also have this thing called 'Errors and Omissions' insurance in case we make a really bad mistake.

Then, of course, a client could die without proper coverage or care.

We also get renewal commissions that can stop if we are terminated for cause by an insurer or suspended by the State DOI.

If you wonder why most licensed agents have no respect for your guesses you can start with the above, there are many, many more considerations for a professional agent.

That's no excuse for shooting off your mouth and giving incorrect information.

I did not provide incorrect information. That information was correct for all of the employees to which it applied. Just because employers in my community buy and administer their group health insurance differently than employers in other parts of the country does not mean that a description of those methods is incorrect. I clearly identified that my comments were based on my own experience.

First, board members criticize because someone makes comments without any backup. So I made some comments and indicated they are experientially based. They are not incorrect, they correctly describe the health insurance situation which a number of people experienced.

So now, you, and others, are just using the fact that another person's personal professional experiences differ from your personal professional experiences as a basis for personal attacks against one whom you dislike.

There is a significant difference between saying something like:

"Administering employer group health plans so that coverage ends at the end of the month is not a universal practice in other states."

and talking about:

"shooting your mouth off" and providing incorrect information.

Last edited:
So now, you, and others, are just using the fact that another person's personal professional experiences differ from your personal professional experiences as a basis for personal attacks against one whom you dislike.

No, we are all LICENSED and have consequences if we make a mistake.

You are UNLICENSED and untrained (if you had the guts you would have a license by now instead of wasting bandwidth) so nothing you say can be taken as fact or even informed conjecture. Your opinions don't count, every agent on this forum keeps telling you that.

It sounds like you were in HR when you had a career, maybe you should find an HR benefits forum and see if you have a better experience.

@lostdollar: the OP specifically gave a COBRA term date and asked how to deal with the FACT that it was mid-month. You responded questioning the accuracy of the date based on your limited experience where all of your examples termed at month end.

Your examples are irrelevant and the OP would have given incorrect advice had he acted as if it applied.

Large claims can result from incorrect or irrelevant information in the health insurance world. Please don't regurgitate what leads to the wrong actions. In other words, STFU.

Back