Short Term Health Insurance with HIIQUOTE

There was a carrier (Cariten) in TN that was priced 15% under market and had terrible service and horrible claims paying. We would present them then sell against them since our competition would also have the quotes to use against us. People bought regardless of our recommending against them and we ultimately lost several clients. Some clients were happy with Cariten. I suspect that they didn't have many claims and it was a case of "I haven't ever had a problem with them". That too is a common refrain when buying cheap - think HMO or even Med Advantage.

A carrier with piss poor service rarely improves. I haven't had a "next time" since that experience but would either decline to sell that carrier or have the client sign that I was only helping them implement because of (reasons 1,2,3,4) and that I'd help them when it came time to move. I'd do it in a joking matter with reference that I wanted to maintain our friendship regardless of how good or bad the carrier turned out to be.

I use the same strategy with loans. I decline if anyone asks for a loan that is more than I'm willing to give them because loans between friends damage friendships. If the amount is something I'm willing to give, I will with the caveat that this is a gift and repayment is not expected or allowed and, don't ever ask me for a loan again because I don't make loans. I will give them a place to sleep or food but people don't generally want a bed or food so that isn't a problem.

Bottom line, don't sell crappy carriers or plans without fully explaining why it isn't worth buying.

Selling STM with the expectation of writing multiple plans is asking for trouble. STM is specifically set up to pay very low total claims and renewing is only an option if you are not sick. You could pay me 1/2 of the premium and be money ahead. I won't pay any claims either but won't pretend that I will. At least with term life there is a conversion option in the event it's needed (don't bring up that not all term bla, bla, bla). The point is that there is no such bail out with STM.

Last edited:
I'm interested in talking to anyone who has previously worked with HIIQuote selling their STM. Since the new laws on short term, my company is going to be selling a lot of their STM. I'm not familiar with their reputation? Anybody have any knowledge that would be useful to me?
Please try not to be nasty in your responses!! I'm just curious about their reputation among agents.:)

Hi! I'm not nasty but the carriers can be. STM is both underwritten and expensive. It has to be renewed and that's not guaranteed either. Finally there is often a scale-able waiting period that can be used to determine you premium up to a year. Obviously the longer you wait the premium is reduced. If you are healthy, it may be an option. But if you get sick, it might not be renewable. One's history is pretty important. Frankly I like Critical Care coverage for this class of risk pool.

Frankly I like Critical Care coverage for this class of risk pool.

Right. If they get lucky, critical care will pay whatever the schedule says which is next to nothing. That is true of all high commission plans. Premium-commission - over rides - overhead = what's left for claims.

Even STM doesn't plan on paying much claims but at least claims payments will reflect actual claims. I'd rather have a $10,000 OOP and be aware of it than have multiple uncovered illnesses and unknown liability all while "thinking" that I have coverage like is the case with critical illness - but the premiums are low.

Standard offer: send 1/2 of the CI premium to me I won't pay claims either but at least you'll keep your money. In exchange, you can have 100% of all the commission dollars on every case that I almost sell.

Edit: @Salesgirl with reasoning like in your posts, remind me to not take advice from you. You're dangerous. Never mind, no need for the reminder.

LOL!:D Soooo true that

Once again, Papercutter is completely obsessed with me. He literally seeks out anything I write on this forum and makes an unhelpful/unnecessary comment, (usually completely untrue). At this point, it's pretty much harassment. Find someone else to obsess over/harass, please.

Once again, Papercutter is completely obsessed with me. He literally seeks out anything I write on this forum and makes an unhelpful/unnecessary comment, (usually completely untrue). At this point, it's pretty much harassment. Find someone else to obsess over/harass, please.

If by "harassing" you, you mean I am calling out your BS, then too bad toots, grow some thicker skin.....and stop coming onto this forum to pimp your crapola company. :twitchy:

(usually completely untrue). At this point, it's pretty much harassment. Find someone else to obsess over/harass, please.

Anyone else pick this up?

Madame...

Find another sandbox to play in. The more you post here the clearer it becomes the untrue is an area you tend to hang.

Not wise to place that response on a forum which will be archived and researchable for years to come.

Good luck!

Anyone else pick this up?

Madame...

Find another sandbox to play in. The more you post here the clearer it becomes the untrue is an area you tend to hang.

Not wise to place that response on a forum which will be archived and researchable for years to come.

Good luck!

Whoooooaaaaa...

I think salesgirl is..well..a little uneducated? Naive? Immature? All three of those? But trying tl learn and get better. Nothing wrong with that at all.

She asked a reasonable questionand he jumped all over her, with no reason (except past history?).

Papercutter never seems to show up unless Salesgirl has posted. And then he DOES go after every post. Kind of like an ex waiting in the wings to talk to your new significant other to sabotage the next relationship. Hmmm......

Junkman went after her logic, but it wasn't personal.

And any woman, at anytime should be allowed to stand up for herself and say "stop harassing me" without fear of retribution or comments that say "you aren't wise" to stand up for yourself.

T...if we hadn't talked on several occasions, so I personally know you, this would have been a much more heated response. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed. If someone had told MY daughter to fear retribution after standing up to harassment, there would be h**l to pay. And you would react the same way if they said it to your daughter.

T...if we hadn't talked on several occasions, so I personally know you, this would have been a much more heated response. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed. If someone had told MY daughter to fear retribution after standing up to harassment, there would be h**l to pay. And you would react the same way if they said it to your daughter.

Happy to reassure you that your disappointment has been noted and no fox given.

I was pointing out the statement of what is being said as being (usually completely untrue). So when is it true? I mean really?

There was no addressing of the aforementioned harassment allegations by me whatsoever...so since the topic wasn't noted by me why peg me on this topic?

My point remains valid...when do we know you're telling the truth or others are telling the truth about you salesgirl?

----------

Getting the popcorn...........

----------

FYI you can bet your A$$ I stand by my daughter(s) in the same way!

If by "harassing" you, you mean I am calling out your BS, then too bad toots, grow some thicker skin.....and stop coming onto this forum to pimp your crapola company. :twitchy:

T...this is what you quoted. And said "other people will see".

So if you weren't referring to this, what exactly are you concerned about people finding later?

Back