SSI Vs Social Security Disability

TwoLabs

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Man seems like as soon as I think I have something figured out, I get more confused. As far as ACA is concerned, and included in MAGI:

Tax Exempt Social Security Retirement Income = Included
Social Security Disability = Included
SSI = Excluded

Right?

I had one signed up for 2014. Her income was a job and her husbands was Soc Security retirement. She retired and got social security disability. She called healthcare.gov and did the 2015 app over the phone to update her info. The result, no subsidy (fell below FPL, in TX...non expanded). So now she's denied Medicaid and has no subsidy. But if it was Social Security Disability, shouldn't that have counted?

Another question, how do I know if its SSI or Social Security Disability. The forms they bring in look the same for social security income vs disability. Is there something completely different for SSI?

Thanks all!

SSI - Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

blue ball It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and blue ball It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

SSDI vs SSI - Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Supplemental Security Income pays benefits based on financial need.

TwoLabias, you are correct. See form, read fine print

Attachments

• UC Berkeley MAGI_summary 7 - 2014.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 12
tumblr_lne4gphfQ31qi97xgo1_500.jpg

Back