Subsidy Clawback Abuse?

I put 150K in for income 2 people working w child

silver plan zero subsidy and "cheap" silver plan

A whopping 54K year in premium...

but if I make 50k its 4116 premium per year...

Who is paying the 51K difference???

Or where is the money comming from???

Am I missing something???

I must be missing something..for a family of three, I entered 150K for income, 45 for the age of both adults and I come up with a monthly premium of $1015, where are you getting the 54K in premium?

the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released a report claiming that purchasing coverage through the exchange would cost $9,000, while traditional Medicaid coverage would only cost $6,000.

I must be missing something..for a family of three, I entered 150K for income, 45 for the age of both adults and I come up with a monthly premium of $1015, where are you getting the 54K in premium?

I entered wrong info in one of the boxes....

Its more resonable @ 150K salary $ 1358 is premium...

With my error corrected, we are still screwed

Obama-crap is awful legislation, and our democratic leaders did not read the bill and just passed a bunch of over reaching regulations that are no good....

2016 cant cone fast enough....

Obama-crap is awful legislation, and our democratic leaders did not read the bill and just passed a bunch of over reaching regulations that are no good....

What does 2016 have to do with a gosh damn thing.... I heard the same chit back in 2010 .....blah blah blah, 2012 can't come fast enough... Guess what cat daddy, it came and went and we still got the brother... Deal with it

They changed the calculator field entries:

National Health Care Calculator

Haven't played too much with it, but no "family rate", add children........see price go up up up

Cool, they are allowing for 2 person couple, but only 1 person buying on exchange.

Wow..Age 50/48/2children make $94,000 and your out-of-pocket premium is $784 a month. Make $94,500 and your premium skyrockets to $1,456 a month!

You can bet that the families who are near the top of the range for subsidy eligibility will have a special tag attached to their SSN in the IRS computer. Once they enter $94,500 (or a little higher) estimated income and see that big fat $0 for subsidy eligibility, they will likely lower their income estimate to get them under 400% of FPL. They might even ask their bosses for a cut in pay to keep them at or under $94,500 to avoid a +$8,000 claw-back payment to the IRS the next year.

You assume that people have any idea what the levels for subsidies are and/or will be to make that type of request.

I'm not sure where they are getting their premium estimates, but now that they have updated this calculator, the premiums are closer to reality. For my family of 6, the monthly premium estimate for the Silver plan is $1925. That's a $23,100 annual premium. Since there's no way we would qualify for a subsidy, I think I'm going to need to look closely at any good alternative plans that the B carriers are talking about designing! Or maybe I need to extend the renewal of my current plan well into 2014!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh, this is funny. Thank God my children are young 'uns. If they were age 21-25, I would be looking at a monthly premium of $2529 for my family of 6.

Last edited:
You assume that people have any idea what the levels for subsidies are and/or will be to make that type of request.

My experience has been, both on a personal and business level, that families in the $85,000+ income range are pretty smart and inquisitive.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, variable income sole-proprietors will eventually be hosed by the IRS if they accept subsidies enough times.

I hate to make predictions, but I think that by 2016, if you are running for any office and you have ever supported or voted for Obamacare, I predict you have little to no chance of getting elected; well unless your constituents are all poor and rely on the government.

I'm not sure where they are getting their premium estimates, but now that they have updated this calculator, the premiums are closer to reality. For my family of 6, the monthly premium estimate for the Silver plan is $1925. That's a $23,100 annual premium. Since there's no way we would qualify for a subsidy, I think I'm going to need to look closely at any good alternative plans that the B carriers are talking about designing! Or maybe I need to extend the renewal of my current plan well into 2014!!

Ann,
I received bad news today. Our hoped-for Legacy Major Medical will not be available to sell in 2014. If you know something good, by all means, please cheer me up!
-Allen

Latest posts

Back