Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Hobby Lobby in Contraception Case

KennyWest

Guru
100+ Post Club
I am stunned! Good news, what I am stunned about is the SC ruling as they did!

06/30/2014
Supreme Court rules in favor of Hobby Lobby in contraception case

fox59 DOT com/2014/06/30/supreme-court-set-to-rule-on-hobby-lobby-contraception-case/#axzz368Rf2nuP

Re: Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Hobby Lobby in Contraception Case Read More: Http://fox59.com/2014/06/30/supreme-c

Good for Hobby Lobby. This ruling won't change anything I'm doing.

Re: Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Hobby Lobby in Contraception Case Read More: Http://fox59.com/2014/06/30/supreme-c

Posted an article about this on the Forum.
According to one "constitutional law scholar," more than 80% of US corporations could be considered "closely held" - obviously doesn't mean they will opt out of the contraception coverage, but they conceivably could.
Alito said the administration could handle this two ways: the government could simply pay for pregnancy prevention or could provide the same kind of accommodation it made to non-profit religious orgs. Supposedly their insurer or a third-party administrator takes on the responsibility of paying for birth control, and the employer doesn't have to arrange for coverage or pay for it. Insurers get "reimbursed" by the govt through credits against fees owed under other ACA provisions.
I'm still not sure how the cost just doesn't get covered down the line in the form of higher premiums, but I suppose at least the religious for-profits aren't violating their beliefs by paying "directly" for contraception coverage.

So are all those groups that believe medicine is the devil's work allowed to opt-out of providing health care to employees (so long as it's a "closely held corporation")?

So are all those groups that believe medicine is the devil's work allowed to opt-out of providing health care to employees (so long as it's a "closely held corporation")?

According to Alito the decision is limited to contraceptives. "Our decision should not be understood to hold that an insurance-coverage mandate must necessarily fall if it conflicts with an employer's religious beliefs."

But on the dissent side, Bader Ginsburg said the decision is "potentially sweeping" and opens the door.

I would think we'll soon see non-contraception related challenges from some religious folks running "closely held" companies...

The H L case is unique in some ways.

Obamacare has approved 20 different forms of contraceptives including 4 that are "morning after" pills.

H L provides 16 different contraceptives in their plan, not the 4 that can lead to abortion.

Hobby Lobby invest in Duramed, the company who makes Plan B, in their company 401k.

They have no problem buying stock in an abortion med (and forcing whoever has a 401k who works for than) but God forbid the company cover it in their health care!

I'm stunned to hear the politicians that say this will limit a women's access to health care. I'm stunned to hear politicians saying that this means religion is telling women what they can do with their bodies.

Did the above politicians hear a different ruling? The ruling said that a company is free to not offer an employee benefit. I don't know but since when did it become a right to acquire employee benefits? Oh wait....Obama started mandating certain benefits.

In 1970 my wife and I had access to birth control --- it was called paying for them out of my own bank account. If my wife wanted birth control pills she paid for them. When the time came that we thought it was unsafe (age thing) for her to use birth control pills, I went to the pharmacy and got my own birth control contraption.

So now politicians, NOW and others think because some sugar daddy (employer) isn't going to pay for it that someone birth control will be unavailable.

I say it is hogwash. You want the pills go to Planned Parenthood and pay the $10 a month. If you are single and that afraid of getting pregnant there is one way of 100% certainty of not getting pregnant.

I heard one government official say that this is terrible because preventing pregnancy is cheaper than having an unwanted baby. Well using such logic, an abortion is cheaper than having a baby so therefore as an employer benefit the employer should provide abortions.

So I am not really stunned but I am tired of the political groups that twist and turn the truth to make things sound different from reality.

Medically necessary? Tests and other such things are meant to prevent disease. Some may say that if you smoke, you know you will get lung cancer. Well not necessarily and there are people who never smoked that get lung cancer. Docs aren't 100% sure of how cancers get started so preventative care may have some medical necessity.

Cancer doesn't give you a choice. There is no doubt how you make a baby (natural way) and therefore choice is involved and you accept the risk involved in that choice. It is not up to me, it is not up to my neighbor and it is not up to any employee to pay for the choice.

In my State even on a non-maternity group plan (which because of the ACA no longer exists) maternity would still be a covered event once it is medically necessary .... caesarian.

----------

Please explain how you define contraceptives as health care and how this decision stops women from buying contraceptives?

Latest posts

Back