Surrogate Mother Coverage.

Dowejonez

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Iowa
Have a new one I have no idea what to do with. I insure a same sex married couple, two males, and Iowa recognizes the union. At least for this month.

They are using a surrogate mother who is on Medicaid to have their baby using IVF.

They will have to pay for everything up to the pregnancy, but have asked me to find coverage for the surrogate mother till delivery? Medicaid will not cover according to them.

Any ideas?

If they want to go the unnatural route, why should the taxpayers have to foot the bill? This country has lost its freaking mind.

Not sure how it looks in Iowa, but most policies specifically exclude surrogacy maternity.

So the answer is....they need to save their pennies. Vaginal is $6K, C Section is $10K, assuming an epidural.

Not even going there about why the taxpayer should pay for any of it....

Not sure how it looks in Iowa, but most policies specifically exclude surrogacy maternity.

So the answer is....they need to save their pennies. Vaginal is $6K, C Section is $10K, assuming an epidural.

Not even going there about why the taxpayer should pay for any of it....

It sounds like they're just looking at ways to pay for it vs making tax payers.

Midwifes are another option. A lot of birthing centers will have a fee that covers most of the exams and delivery. I live just outside of DC where everything is expensive and one place was looking at around $4,500. Of course that's assuming there are no surprises.

Have a new one I have no idea what to do with. I insure a same sex married couple...

They are using a surrogate mother who is on Medicaid to have their baby using IVF.

They will have to pay for everything up to the pregnancy, but have asked me to find coverage for the surrogate mother till delivery?
Medicaid will not cover according to them.

Any ideas?

From what I'm seeing at the University of Iowa IVF website, the medical treatments leading up to a successful pregnancy cost around $15,000, assuming they're fortunate enough to get it done on the first "cycle".
REF: https://www.uihealthcare.org/ivf-financial-concerns/

I think this couple is concerned about the statistically higher likelihood of complications and/or multiple deliveries that could cost far more than a "normally" conceived pregnancy.

She could move in with them, be a "domestic partner" and gain coverage that way couldn't she?
ac

I think this couple is concerned about the statistically higher likelihood of complications and/or multiple deliveries that could cost far more than a "normally" conceived pregnancy.

While my heart hurts for couples who suffer from infertility and yes, IVF babies tend to cost more, that may be because women who suffer from infertility also tend have issues with pregnancy and delivery. I don't think the high cost of delivering IVF babies applies in this case.

.....thanks for all of the replies. I wasn't sure I'd get any helpful replies given the nature of the thread. I could go that direction myself, but these threads show up when doing a search and they might recognize their case. My own viewpoints on this is that they should either adopt a Honduran child or go to the local pound for a homeless dog. Kidding....kind of.

I thought going the IVF route with a surrogate was more like in the 80K range with an additional 10K for an attorney. As a few have said above, there are the risks that the seed sowing won't take and that it may take multiple tries, each costing more dough.

While they understand they will pay for the process, they told me in an email that Medicaid would not cover the mother from conception to birth. I guess I"ll call Medicaid and confirm that no complications with the mother or fetus will be covered during the 9 months using IVF.

Man .......this business is becoming complicated.

Back