Telemedicine - New Add-on Option?

dgmins

As health agents, I am sure there are potential clients you run into that still can't afford health insurance with the new ACA exchanges, subsidies and such. TELEMEDICINE presents an alternative, especially in the area of ACUTE (one-time) needs or to bridge long-term medication needs as well. It's an up-and-coming trend.

This plan, although not insurance, has the costs to a client much like a plan, with reasonable 'copays' that may or may not be charged (its up to the physician and the nature of the call). Clients have 24/7 access to a physician just by calling a toll-free number located on their card. This plan also comes with a prescription discount plan as well; so for the most common needs (diagnosis and prescription), both are discounted down to reasonable prices in most cases. Think of this type of plan as you would having AAA but for medical purposes (another form of protection and piece of mind).

Agents get fast start commissions and permanent residuals with this plan, just like on the insurance side, for as long as the client holds the plan. Plan costs start at $20/month for basic doctor and pharmacy coverage, then the VIP plan runs at $100/month, but also covers a pre-paid legal plan, life event counseling, patient advocacy, identity theft, and zeros out all physician copays completely.

What do you guys think of this?

As a stand alone 'alternative'....no effing way. I wouldn't even begin to think of that for anyone.

The only advantage to this type of plan, if there is one, to save time for the family--maybe. This and only if they have major medical. The reasoning is that mom or dad doesn't have to miss work to take little Johnny to the doc because of something such as an allergic reaction to something and needs something stronger than the histamine found over the counter. Call the 800 number, talk to a nurse or more likely a nurse practitioner and get a script sent to your pharmacy to pick up on your way home from work. No one misses work, saves time and time off not to mention unexcused absences from work.

For most families, this isn't something they need. In most instances it is something that agents need to sell to pad their commissions.

Telemed is not for a broad group of people and not for those that can't afford major medical. This isn't an alternative...it's a supplement--if that.

Last edited:
I think that Assurant offers TeleMed benefits with their policies.
I don't sell much Assurant.
They are SO overpriced in Texas (except for worst-case scenarios who want very-low out-of-pocket plans)....as well as Open Formulary Rx & a huge PPO network. Only people with very-high utilization & expensive pre-x conditions are buying Assurant in Tx.
I think their prices are quite competitive in Florida, though.
Isn't TeleMed an Assurant benefit Yagents?

Telemed is included on a bunch of plans from a bunch of carriers here in NY. It's their solution to providing OON benefits- you can call in for the mundane stuff (sniffles, ear infection, rash) when not in network for whatever reason. If you need ER, it's covered, if you need general care or an RX, you use telemed.

Honestly, it's a pretty nice feature for a person who travels, and a decent solution to providing some care when away from home. I wouldn't pay for it, though...

Back