Tennessee Co -op to Say Good Bye

roadrunner

Super Genius
Guess it is official... I suppose the scheduled training classes for next week are cancelled

Article from the Tennessean

Community Health Alliance will no longer offer insurance coverage next year, forcing about 27,000 enrollees to find new health insurance plans.

The Knoxville-based health insurance cooperative, created under the Affordable Care Act, will continue to pay out existing claims but will wind down its coverage by not taking on new customers.

The decision was based on the co-op’s financial condition, according to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, and ends months of uncertainty about its future. The alliance had stopped selling its plans on the federal exchange in January after its low-cost plans attracted more enrollees than expected, and their ability to handle the high volume came into question.

“This was not a decision that the Department took lightly, but it was the right decision,” Julie Mix McPeak, commerce and insurance commissioner, said in a statement. “With thousands of Tennesseans’ coverage hanging in the balance, CHA’s financial success could not be guaranteed. Ultimately, the risk of CHA’s potential failure in 2016 was too great and would have caused substantial detrimental effects on the market as a whole if it were to collapse.”

Policyholders will keep their insurance coverage through 2015 as long as premiums are paid. They must re-enroll in a new health care plan during the Open Enrollment period, which begins Nov. 1. To receive coverage in 2016, consumers must enroll by Dec. 15, according to the department. They will be able to choose from four remaining carriers on the federal marketplace, which they can shop for on www.Healthcare.gov.

Don't know what the network was like in the East but in West TN the network was essentially nonexistent. I believe there was one doc in Jackson and that was about it.

Chris - They had a good presence in the Nashville Metro area. Their rates were much lower than anyone else. Plus they paid $35.00 first enrollee in home, $29.00 second enrollee in home. Sad to see that commission go away. Sad, to see another option leave.
I am hoping with UHC coming into the exchange we will see some competition for BCBSTN.
I know here in the Metro area Humana, and Cigna are really not players. Most of my book is with Blue. Would love another true option for folks.

Chris - They had a good presence in the Nashville Metro area. Their rates were much lower than anyone else. Plus they paid $35.00 first enrollee in home, $29.00 second enrollee in home. Sad to see that commission go away. Sad, to see another option leave.
I am hoping with UHC coming into the exchange we will see some competition for BCBSTN.
I know here in the Metro area Humana, and Cigna are really not players. Most of my book is with Blue. Would love another true option for folks.

Are they stopping your commissions for this year?

We received a commission statement for October. I am not counting on any more, although they have said they will continue to pay through December.

Not necessarily true. The Nevada co-op stopped paying commissions while plans are still in-force.

Source: Nevada Health CO-OP cuts broker commissions short | Las Vegas Review-Journal

My commission contract with our state Co-Op is not "broker friendly". I suspect that most aren't.

Ours looks very friendly, indicating notice windows for changes, etc., until you read the line that says they can terminate any broker at any time for any reason, but hold you to any part of the agreement they choose, with no notice, and it's at their "sole discretion" whether to continue commissions if that happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if we all get termination notices rather than commission statements...

Back