Trump Won, Vows Day 1 Full Repeal. Lets Discuss.

There are very, very few regional health insurance carriers any more. At the time there were players (in a manner of speaking) like Celtic and World. Both of those bailed before 2014. I am sure there were more.

Maybe in your area, but we're discussing the nation as a whole. Overall, there's far more regional than national carriers (even if you consider groups/associations like KP, BCBS, UHC/GR to be a single company)

In NY, there's 10 completely independent companies that are not tied to any association/group/national company. I can't think of 10 national carriers.

Maybe in your area, but we're discussing the nation as a whole. Overall, there's far more regional than national carriers (even if you consider groups/associations like KP, BCBS, UHC/GR to be a single company)

In NY, there's 10 completely independent companies that are not tied to any association/group/national company. I can't think of 10 national carriers.

Fair enough. So do any of these companies sell outside of New York? Did they exist prior to ACA? And if they don't sell outside of NY, why would we assume they would want to if they were allowed to sell across state lines? After all, what is to stop them from doing so now?

Most existed prior to ACA:

Affinty-30 years old
Healthfirst-Started 1993
CDPHP-Started 1984
Independent Health-1980
MetroPlus-1985
MVP-1983
Fidelis-1993
EmblemHealth-2008 (merger of GHI and HIP, which trace back to 1937 and 1943 respectively)

Oscar and CareConnect are the new ones (along with Health Republic, the failed co-op. Atlantis, re-branded to EasyChoice, failed in 2014 after being denied selling on-ex.)

3 sell outside of NY. MVP crosses the NY/VT border, Oscar (No upstate coverage at all) expanded to NJ and recently select counties of TX/CA. CareConnect (no upstate coverage at all) is sold in parts of NJ. EmblemHealth sells in CT under the Connecticare name, but it's technically a separate company. They have some network coverage in NJ (not uncommon for a NY group to have employees that commute from Jersey).

It's not profitable to sell across state lines, which is why carriers nationwide don't do it already. Even beyond filing and regulatory issues, there's significant barriers to entry when it comes to gaining market share, negotiating networks, etc.

It's not profitable to sell across state lines, which is why carriers nationwide don't do it already. Even beyond filing and regulatory issues, there's significant barriers to entry when it comes to gaining market share, negotiating networks, etc.

Thank you for making my point. If carriers were interested in it, they'd be doing it already. I can't recall seeing one comment from anyone at an insurance company that seemed the least bit interested in this. Granted I may have missed it, but I don't recall ever seeing it.

NY has always been a f-u state for insurance. Most carriers choose not to play there. Many that do use a separate carrier, domiciled in NY just to write business in that state.

Selling across state lines is a dumbass Republican pitch that has been used for years, even before Obamacrap. It wouldn't work then, sure a hell won't now.

The left just doesn't seem to get it. The people don't want it.
California and Colorado, both who voted for Hillary, had the chance to vote in two of their prize jewels..........and failed. Seems graveyard whistling may be a full time job for the left.........at their peril.

Seems voters are listening to the private sector with O'care fail.

Drug price controls shot down:
https://www.statnews.com/2016/11/09...EL3yDUBJrYGs-bxCf1ufKvOO2OTa5I&_hsmi=37314357

Single payer shot down:
ColoradoCare measure Amendment 69 defeated soundly – The Denver Post

Actually, we failed to run the only person up there who had integrity - Bernie. I don't like Hillary worth a damn. Trump is a narcisistic, racist lying thief. I say this because his racism is documented dating back to waht he learned from his dad. His narcissism also dates back to his and how he had to be in order to be worthy in front of his dad. I say thief because of how he runs his businesses some of which only he took money out of a venture while his associates all lost. I say liar because that also has been documented as recently as the campaign.

My black friends say that nothing has changed. We've only re-exposed what already was and has been for a very long time.

Regarding his stated plans to do away with open enrollment and guaranteed issue at the same time the required coverage goes away, carriers will simply quit writing coverage unless it is ASO. Regarding "competition" amongst carriers and across state lines, he is full of ****. That does nothing because the carriers are all looking at the same claims which we all know is the essence of rates.

For the record, Farm Bureau is ~ 17% less expensive than other carriers for similar ACA plans. $3600 less expensive for me & my family on the cheapest HSA plan.

----------

Even the major carriers set up separate companies for each state. Blue Cross does, UHC etc. They may share networks and have similar or over lapping plans but they are individual companies.

What a joke.

Since you have read the law, can you explain to me in more detail how the Republicans added language to the ACA that penalizes companies on the exchange by making them pay for bad claims experiences of other companies on the exchange, or am I getting it wrong?

From what I understand, it's a tactic used by the larger companies to get huge payments from successful startups on the exchange.

Man, there sure are a lot of successful start ups on the exchange. Let's see...UHC pulled out, Blue Cross pulled out of the metropolitan areas staying only where other carriers are not, Cigna is only writing EPOs in the city, Humana has a crappy, narrow network to lower claims and is only available in the city, and that other new successful carrier?

There aren't any. Imagine that.

Man, there sure are a lot of successful start ups on the exchange. Let's see...UHC pulled out, Blue Cross pulled out of the metropolitan areas staying only where other carriers are not, Cigna is only writing EPOs in the city, Humana has a crappy, narrow network to lower claims and is only available in the city, and that other new successful carrier?

There aren't any. Imagine that.

Yea that's why there aren't any. They get bled out. I can't remember where I saw the article on it. I think it was the CEO of that successful startup in NY talking about why it was failing. It wasn't because of claims experience.

Back