Trumpcare - Making It Great Again

It seems as if everyone here has made a case for national health care... seeing as no one seems to have come up with a better solution.

I don't know the healthcare business but it is obvious from reading this thread that the current system (ACA) is not sustainable and people do not want to go back to pre-ex exclusion/underwriting days of IFP. So this is what is being suggested by people I know or in articles I read:

-Everyone goes on Medicare
-Medicare CMS negotiates drug prices for a national formulary.
-Hospital and physician rates are standardized across the nation.
-Many doctors leave the medical profession over lower reimbursements.
-New docs are trained in national medical schools (in 1/3 the time) the same way we train military officers in service academies.
-Private health insurance is abolished with the exception of supplements (if necessary.)
-Taxes are raised to cover costs.

We'd join the rest of the world with a workable socialized health care system. It might not be as good as what we have today, but as you all seem to have stated, the current system is going to collapse.

Maybe a two-tier system, somewhat similar to the UK might work... a public system like above and a private one... at least for the wealthy who would pay for the private system?

It should not cost a whole lot more to deliver a baby or remove an appendix in CA then in SC.

From what I understand the salaries of teachers, police, fire, and other social service workers are not that much different across the country... maybe 15%?

http://blueribbon.sd.gov/docs/Survey of State Teacher Salary Schedules.pdf

NEA - 2012-2013 Average Starting Teacher Salaries by State

It will have to be the same way with medical services... unless you have a better solution.

Interesting discussion but I'd like the experienced agents here to focus on solutions. We all know the problems.

It is easy to say what won't work. Tell us what will work!

It should not cost a whole lot more to deliver a baby or remove an appendix in CA then in SC.

From what I understand the salaries of teachers, police, fire, and other social service workers are not that much different across the country... maybe 15%?

Some what you posted makes sense...then you went rogue.

Richardson TX, a suburb of Dallas, starting Teacher Salary is $42K. Long Beach CA starting teacher salary is $55K. NYC is $51K.

Richardson TX Fireman: $52K. NYC: $39K. LBC: $36K

(Not sure why you used public sector employees, who don't pay into Social Security and have their own retirement and retiree medical, though. Was that on purpose or just listing salaries?)

If you live/work in CA or NYC, you have the highest cost of real estate in the country. And with the exception of public service employees (even though they have state income tax), the average salary is higher. So when you are a doctor living in CA and paying for rent and salaries on the CA standard, then you are going to charge more for an appendectomy than someone who lives in South Carolina or South Dakota.

I am in the middle of implementing a group. The quote started in Dallas County. Office just moved 30 miles to Grayson County. 18% DECREASE in the rates. And its all based on provider reimbursement. The doctors don't charge as much because their overhead is significantly lower than Dallas County docs.

When Humana had that Indy PPO for 2016, my Dallas premium was $448. If I lived in Phoenix, it was $289.

If a doctor goes to an Ivy League school (or Johns Hopkins, Duke, Stanford, etc) they will have paid significantly more for their education. Why shouldn't they be paid more after graduation?

Its great that works in Great Britain. (And I actually do think that's the direction), but comparing what a doc makes for an appendectomy in South Carolina compared to California isn't realistic. That's not how America works.

Wish it did, though. I would love to pay for a 3000 square foot house in the LBC for what I pay in Dallas.....

And my solution is to eliminate group coverage nationwide. FDR was the one who started this mess......

It seems as if everyone here has made a case for national health care... seeing as no one seems to have come up with a better solution.

Interesting discussion but I'd like the experienced agents here to focus on solutions. We all know the problems.

It is easy to say what won't work. Tell us what will work!

Here was my 2 cents for a solution in another thread, but nobody is gonna listen. Now that you know the solution, what can you do about it?
----------------------------
Solution if I'm elected in 2024:

1. Catastrophic National High Cost Umbrella Insurance - federal gov't covers all medical costs above $25,000. Tax dollars used to fund it. Everyone is in, pre-ex covered and Medicare negotiated rates apply.

2. Allow people to buy supplement plans or self insure.

3. Allow everyone to fund HSA's to a higher 10k per person limit. Lower income would get an HSA contribution made each year, up to $5k (funded by taxes), which is theirs to keep, free prev care, lower deductibles. Also allow reduced supplement policies or free premium.

Consumer now is fully injected into the purchasing decision, and just like every other industry in the fricken world, prices will go down and quality will go up. People will stop running to ER for bloody nose.

Here was my 2 cents for a solution in another thread, but nobody is gonna listen. Now that you know the solution, what can you do about it?
----------------------------
Solution if I'm elected in 2024:

1. Catastrophic National High Cost Umbrella Insurance - federal gov't covers all medical costs above $25,000. Tax dollars used to fund it. Everyone is in, pre-ex covered and Medicare negotiated rates apply.

2. Allow people to buy supplement plans or self insure.

3. Allow everyone to fund HSA's to a higher 10k per person limit. Lower income would get an HSA contribution made each year, up to $5k (funded by taxes), which is theirs to keep, free prev care, lower deductibles. Also allow reduced supplement policies or free premium.

Consumer now is fully injected into the purchasing decision, and just like every other industry in the fricken world, prices will go down and quality will go up. People will stop running to ER for bloody nose.

Over 60 million Americans are living in poverty today

Approximately 2/3 of Americans could not afford to pay a $1000 tab if they had a medical event today so obviously they could not fund an HSA.*

* But those employees and their employer can afford to participate in a Classic 105 reimbursement program as it costs neither of them a dime out-of-pocket.

None of those people have jobs, so there is no employer to offer some 105 plan, legal or not.

You're saying 2/3 of Americans are unemployed? That's incorrect ....Obama claims it's the lowest in 8 years ;). And yes, the Classic 105 is quite legal. There is plenty of information available online as well as a specific forum elsewhere in insurance-forums to clarify things for you. Hundreds of companies and thousands of employees have been participating for going on 6 years. More and more companies are participating every day.

Last edited:
Ted, BHO is a lame duck with a Repub Congress and divided SCOTUS. If he can't make it happen by Imperial Decree it won't happen.

Pres. Hillary won't do any better unless she can turn the balance of power in one or both houses of Congress. I don't think her coattails are long enough for that to happen.

She will be a lame duck for 2 - 4 years.

Remains to be seen what The Donald can accomplish if inaugurated.

people cant get jobs now thanks to the president, so people cant rely on getting emp sponsored plans. problem is your gonna hit the wall with the partisan goverment even if you had something good..the unwashed like their $850 avg deductible plans now for $20/mo.....give them some bahamas style public hospitals for CAT, expand the clinics everyone gets access 4 mo wait for well visit...and the people who matter the tax paying 1% can have whatever they want...middles class? u get obamacare.lol.

------

but honestly, we knew from day one in NY before they had O-Care, if you lived in the 5 burroughts you got Atlantis HMO, GI $1000 mo for a couple. Cant afford that and your income is too high for state medicaid plans? lol buy a discount plan for $349/mo...WOW!

We cant have GI + Bling Bling level of benefits + mandated oop. Damn, b4 O-Care people had $15k-$25k max oop, and no MAT care....no druggie rehab (bye bye Cigna)....$1500 rx deduct's...exclusions rate-ups..

A National Plan? You KNOW that's a disaster, look @ hcgov....which has been criminal the rip off it is.

Back