Trumpcare - Making It Great Again

Which employer are you talking about? Northrop Grumman or Doctor Litttlepractice with one or two full-time employees and a few part-timers?
Everytime I go to a medical practice they they're not paying health insurance at all and if they are paying the health insurance they certainly don't want to pay anything beyond that. My largest group is a small medical practice that paying about $4,200 a month 2 UHC
And I can tell you they're struggling to pay that.

Which employer are you talking about? Northrop Grumman or Doctor Litttlepractice with one or two full-time employees and a few part-timers?
Everytime I go to a medical practice they they're not paying health insurance at all and if they are paying the health insurance they certainly don't want to pay anything beyond that. My largest group is a small medical practice that paying about $4,200 a month 2 UHC
And I can tell you they're struggling to pay that.

Any employer with a minimum of 5 employees in their group plan.

Selling across state lines is only to invite competition, which is a good idea, unless you are a communist :)

Yes, the state next to yours or across the country is a different ball game it is "allow" and not "make" companies sell in other states. For instance, Utah has only one carrier on the FFM. Like 18 other states, the ACA Co-Op failed and no one else in state will go on exchange. If other big companies had the OPTION of selling in Utah, one might - or might not - but the market would be open to some competition.

One last thing, and it is not to insight violence or start an argument with anyone, but I am pretty damn sure the ACA was written to do just what it is doing: Jack prices through the roof, make people more dependent on government and give them ammo to say "gee, we tried, but the greedy insurance companies won't cooperate so we are nationalizing everything = single payer".

Selling across state lines is only to invite competition,

If you are selling shoes, or buggy whips or some other tangible product there is some merit to selling across state lines.

But not for health insurance.

Call me a Communist.

insight violence or start an argument

or perhaps incite .......?

greedy insurance companies won't cooperate

Thanks for playing. We have a nice parting gift for you. Don Pardo, tell Mr Nelson what he has won.

Selling across state lines is only to invite competition, which is a good idea, unless you are a communist :)

Yes, the state next to yours or across the country is a different ball game it is "allow" and not "make" companies sell in other states. For instance, Utah has only one carrier on the FFM. Like 18 other states, the ACA Co-Op failed and no one else in state will go on exchange. If other big companies had the OPTION of selling in Utah, one might - or might not - but the market would be open to some competition.

What a FABULOUS idea from someone who obviously doesn't under how insurance works. Just like the braintrust that brought us ACA.

For your general fund of knowledge:

1. You can't force someone to sell a product, whether its based on location or sexual orientation. US Constitution, Article 8, the Commerce Clause. Which I'm pretty sure isn't a Communist document.
2. Even if BCBSTX wanted to sell in Utah, how exactly do you expect that to work? You want them to go into Salt Lake City, negoiate contracts with thousands of providers and then offer a plan? You think thats cost effective for the consumer?
3. The major carriers are already in Utah. (Aetna, Cigna, UHC and whatever BCBS is there). They have the option. They aren't on the Utah Exchange because they don't want to be there.
4. Rates are based on zip code/county. Texas has 34 rating areas. What you pay in Dallas vs Houston vs Austin is totally different. So what is paid for in SLC on the same plan, would still be different.

I'm all for competition. But you can't force a company to compete in an area where they don't want to play.

The state lines argument is political smoke and mirrors that will do nothing to help the consumer.

What part of "allow" don't you get? And what makes negotiating contracts with thousands of providers reasonable in one state and not another? If it's impossible, we are there multi-state carriers at all?

It's the ACA that FORCES someone to not only sell a product, but to sell an unsustainable mountain of benefits with no underwriting and expect prices to magically fall - except they didn't expect them to fall. When B. Hussein said prices would drop $2500 per family annually it was the first clue that they wold do the opposite and go up $2500, which they did.

It all comes back to one simple truth: The government does not produce anything, they are simply collecting money from some people, wasting huge piles of it and handing out the rest. I love helping working folks get a tax credit and lower their insurance costs - for the moment. I hate to see the system being sinking and the government deciding to "fix it" by tying on all the ballast they can find so it sinks faster and faster.

I didn't post my opinion to start an argument, there is no argument to any of us in the field working one on one with hundreds of individual health policy clients across a spectrum of financial situations: For every one person the ACA has helped there are 2 or 3 that it is hurting, and it gets worse every year.

----------

My hell, is everyone on this forum just a smug bastard that pulls one word out of a post (next to a smiley face, so it was obviously tongue in cheek) and goes on the attack?

Is that where the cute little awards for thousands of posts come from? All my post said was it was better to ALLOW private businesses to be less restricted so they can offer other options and compete. Suddenly it's sarcasm but no substance from you and some other guy yelling at me about forcing people to sell a product, which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I said.

Nothing like thinking you are among professions who understand what goes on in the real world and instead finding out the forum is ruled by people who don't bother to think about what they just read before pounding out a reply. I thought the trolls and "one-uppers" were all 40 year old basement dwelling teens on gaming forums...

I just bought a Kansas based health policy from a French company using Singapore doctors from amazon for 80% off a.c.a prices.

Love it.

Each insurance carrier has to pay into the state Guaranty fund. The insurance for the insurer. If we didn't have the system we have today then every time a carrier went out of business and left the policyholders hanging then the policy holder would have to go to Washington DC and fight with them and submit proof of claim to them. Instead of to the local Department of Insurance.
Selling across state lines wouldn't really work for the system that we have now.
Insurance will remain a complex product I believe. I think carriers being a part of these Guaranty funds is actually saving our butts.

Well, when the ACA co-op in my state went under it cost me $5000 in commissions (right before Christmas, than you Barry) and I have dozens of clients still fighting to get claims from 2015 paid. I am not saying there should be no regulation at all, but if the "crossing state lines" idea is so unattractive to insurance companies, why did the federal government have to create a law to stop it and who is that law helping? (Seriously, I don' know)

What part of "allow" don't you get? And what makes negotiating contracts with thousands of providers reasonable in one state and not another? If it's impossible, we are there multi-state carriers at all?

It's the ACA that FORCES someone to not only sell a product, but to sell an unsustainable mountain of benefits with no underwriting and expect prices to magically fall - except they didn't expect them to fall. When B. Hussein said prices would drop $2500 per family annually it was the first clue that they wold do the opposite and go up $2500, which they did.

B.Hussein? Very professional of you. It's unfortunate you live in one of the states with a "designed to fail" health exchange.

Fortunately, most Americans are enjoying the health exchange and carriers are benefiting from the system they lobbied for.

83% Individual Policies Sold on the Marketplace where Premiums Are Lower

Insurance for Low Income Americans Comparable in Coverage and Cost to Employer Sponsored Plans

Back