Uninsured Still Unaware of Mandate, Exchanges

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
There’s no doubt that the nation's uninsured rate has dropped since implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. (Gallup, for one, estimates that the uninsured rate now sits at 13.4 percent, an all-time low.)

But the remaining uninsured population may be hard to reach — especially when most of them don’t know about the mandate requiring them to have health insurance.

Nearly half (46 percent) of those who remain uninsured say they still haven’t heard of the individual mandate, the law’s provision requiring them to get health insurance. And 43 percent have not heard of the exchanges where they may be eligible to purchase health insurance, according to a new Harris Poll survey conducted on behalf of the nonprofit Transamerica Center for Health Studies. :swoon:

The survey found that 22 percent said they did not obtain health insurance prior to the PPACA deadline because they were not aware of the individual mandate to obtain coverage. :err:

Uninsured still unaware of mandate, exchanges | BenefitsPro

You're right I have people calling everyday wanting health insurance, I asked the usual questions to see if they qualify for a SEP, most cases they do not, then I explain the OEP, mandate and penalty, first they heard of it. Say What?

Well I also have to look back and although I saw a commercial once in a great while I don't believe I ever saw anything about the mandate and penalty.

There’s no doubt that the nation's uninsured rate has dropped since implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

That's a fairly broad assumption that is just as bogus as DOL unemployment figures. Depending on your source, 8 million (give or take) bought insurance during the last OE but only 2M were previously uninsured.

Spending billions to insure 2M hardly makes a dent in the uninsured rate, unless it is politically convenient to state such at the same time you declare that Al Qaeda is on the run.

Nearly half (46 percent) of those who remain uninsured say they still haven’t heard of the individual mandate

That would be the low information crowd that voted for this clown .............. twice.

Actually some of them probably voted more than twice. Seems to be a pattern in some voting districts.

That's a fairly broad assumption that is just as bogus as DOL unemployment figures. Depending on your source, 8 million (give or take) bought insurance during the last OE but only 2M were previously uninsured.

Ah, but you're forgetting all those people put onto State Medicaid and CHIP roles. States just love that, don't they?

9 out of 10 (89% specifically) did not know the date OEP starts according to Kaiser.

CBS is the one that claims they don't know there is an OEP, wrongfully, to make a headline.

The question on the survey even states that there is an OEP every year, and goes on to ask "Do you happen to know when the next OEP begins?"

Moral of the story, they all knew there is an OEP, and 59% even indicated they plan to obtain insurance. 89% didn't know the date, and I can't blame them; it has been changed since the law was written and is different than last year and next year.

Back