We Will......survive!

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Do you believe NAHU or HHS that agents will be the PRIMARY distribution channel?

NAHU Washington Update - 08/20/2012
NAHU members and staff attended the HHS exchange forum held last week in Washington, DC and also a regional exchange meeting held in Atlanta, GA. At both meetings, it was made clear that HHS plans to utilize agents as the primary distribution channel of coverage in both the individual and small group markets for federally facilitated and partnership exchanges. At this point it appears that more than half the states will opt for either a partnership or fully federally facilitated exchange.

Bill, how else do they expect to pull this off? Clients cant wipe their own arse now when it comes to selecting and applying for a plan. I had one just last week that was doing a Cigna app and he "forgot" or didnt know how to put his wife and kid on the application. I had to correct it post submit... what a mess.

The true question is what will we get? 300/150 as I have discussed in recent post? If we are not paid properly then they may want or need us but will we be here?

I think even the Federal Government realizes the importance of the the agent/broker. There is no way you can have the largest transition of health insurance in this country and leave us out.

If you are seasoned and willing to work, it could be a 7 figure run.

If we get paid a % then it's on. Even 5% could be huge.

If it looks like medicare sup sales it could still be OK.

If you have a current block then you are guaranteed a run.

The next huge hurdle is what the comp is going to be.

Compensation for brokers per the Act is left up to the states. However, if a state choose to opt out then the feds will administer their exchange. Then likely they'll set the comp. So basically if your state has opted out of the exchange it's time to worry.

Last edited:
they went at it alone... how did that work out for them?

It worked so well they fired agents 5 months after hiring them to promote PCIP.

Agents selling outside the exchange, if even allowed, will be competing against a subsidized plan through the exchange. This assumes subsidies will be funded, but that is another argument.

In discussing options thru the exchange vs outside, the agent will need access to tax records . . . which involves another level of clearance.

Or you can simply quote a price. Tell the prospect to contact the exchange, then get back with you if your offer is better.

yes, they went at it alone... how did that work out for them? Lesson learned.

I do think this that really opened the eyes at HHS.

Can you imagine if HHS says the agent can get a 5% comp on the federal exchange?

Moonlight will have to quit clipping coupons and make it triumph return to the ring.

I'm already giving consultations on staying GF or not. Having them pull out their taxes as we speak, telling them 12' taxes will determine your subsidies in 14' so make those HSA contributions, and prepping them to get ready to pay me a fee if no commish is available inside the exchange. Not one has balked. This business will transition to fee based advice, but over the coming decade, or in 17' when HHS determines they don't need us anymore. U best prep your clients. I also give them a pass to be lazy and not stay up on this PPACA crap, creating a need for me.

What kind of fees are you going to charge?

Will you be liable for tax information and legal information that you give that pertains to health care?

I'm already giving consultations on staying GF or not. Having them pull out their taxes as we speak, telling them 12' taxes will determine your subsidies in 14' so make those HSA contributions, and prepping them to get ready to pay me a fee if no commish is available inside the exchange. Not one has balked. This business will transition to fee based advice, but over the coming decade, or in 17' when HHS determines they don't need us anymore. U best prep your clients. I also give them a pass to be lazy and not stay up on this PPACA crap, creating a need for me.

Back