What Do You Do Administratively for People that Have No Email

junkman

Guru
100+ Post Club
People that qualify for subsidies frequently have no email address. Setting one up on gmail is one more pita associated with the exchange & the people never look at it anyway. These particular people don't have a computer & may not even a smart phone. Could we conceivably AND without violating some major rule use a common address for multiple people?

People that qualify for subsidies frequently have no email address. Setting one up on gmail is one more pita associated with the exchange & the people never look at it anyway. These particular people don't have a computer & may not even a smart phone. Could we conceivably AND without violating some major rule use a common address for multiple people?

How about them using a son or daughter's email address? Other than that, I'd likely give them the number to the Marketplace and have them enroll that way (without me). Although, when I refer someone to the Marketplace to do an enrollment, I always recommend a plan before they call. I'll look up their doctor(s) to make sure they are in the network. Otherwise, the person at the Marketplace will potentially enroll them in a plan that isn't a fit (I'm sure I'm the only one who has ever seen that happen :nah:).

And yes, I realize that's a lot of work to not get paid, but it's the exception and not the norm. But doing the right thing pays off in the long run. Just had a call yesterday from a guy I spoke with last year. He had already completed most everything at healthcare.gov. All that was left was picking a plan. I advised him on the plan and told him to either log in and pick it or call in and pick it. He felt bad that I had done some work and wouldn't be his agent and get paid. Fast forward to yesterday and he is now turning 65. He called and said he knew he needed to get something and wasn't sure what, but wanted me to be the one to help him since I was so much help last year.

After completing his Med Supp app and PDP enrollment, his girlfriend gets on the phone and tells me her BCBS plan is terminating at the end of the year and wants my help enrolling in a new plan. So I helped a guy without getting paid and a year later I get his Med Supp and PDP and will get the girlfriend's U65 plan. She'll turn 65 in January 2017 and become a Med Supp client as well.

How about them using a son or daughter's email address? Other than that, I'd likely give them the number to the Marketplace and have them enroll that way (without me). Although, when I refer someone to the Marketplace to do an enrollment, I always recommend a plan before they call. I'll look up their doctor(s) to make sure they are in the network. Otherwise, the person at the Marketplace will potentially enroll them in a plan that isn't a fit (I'm sure I'm the only one who has ever seen that happen :nah:).

And yes, I realize that's a lot of work to not get paid, but it's the exception and not the norm. But doing the right thing pays off in the long run. Just had a call yesterday from a guy I spoke with last year. He had already completed most everything at healthcare.gov. All that was left was picking a plan. I advised him on the plan and told him to either log in and pick it or call in and pick it. He felt bad that I had done some work and wouldn't be his agent and get paid. Fast forward to yesterday and he is now turning 65. He called and said he knew he needed to get something and wasn't sure what, but wanted me to be the one to help him since I was so much help last year.

After completing his Med Supp app and PDP enrollment, his girlfriend gets on the phone and tells me her BCBS plan is terminating at the end of the year and wants my help enrolling in a new plan. So I helped a guy without getting paid and a year later I get his Med Supp and PDP and will get the girlfriend's U65 plan. She'll turn 65 in January 2017 and become a Med Supp client as well.

I do the same thing! Karma will come back. If you can't help them now, they will find a friend you can help, or you will get them later. Most people remember those that go the extra mile. It comes back many times over.

Small employers are dumping their group and putting people on the exchange. One group is down to 6 people and only the owners actually enrolled even though coverage was basically free for the other 4. They simply did not follow through with the exchange. (ie had to send in documentation, check with wife etc.)

Would it be illegal to let them have access to a common employer email or even a common address at the agency? I could set up "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" and let everyone without an email address use that single address.

If it's legal, would the exchange kick the apps out if there was a common address for multiple applicants?

Last edited:
Small employers are dumping their group and putting people on the exchange. One group is down to 6 people and only the owners actually enrolled even though coverage was basically free for the other 4. They simply did not follow through with the exchange. (ie had to send in documentation, check with wife etc.)

Would it be illegal to let them have access to a common employer email or even a common address at the agency? I could set up "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" and let everyone without an email address use that single address.

If it's legal, would the exchange kick the apps out if there was a common address for multiple applicants?

I'm guessing the exchange would recognize the duplicate email and not set up an account for more than one person with that email.

Personally, I would avoid using email addresses that link to your agency. That's just inviting trouble. If the employer would allow them to set one up there, that would be the best bet.

I was told by someone very close to the issue that they are going to be be "cracking down" on agents creating dummy email accounts this year. Apparently it has become an issue, probably because of that guy who was enrolling homeless people on zero premium plans to earn commission. I helped a few create email accounts (was physically in the same room with them, they typed), but it became too much of a hassle time-wise so I don't do it anymore.

The best way I have found for those without email is a 3-way call with the marketplace. The way to do it is to go over the pertinent information first and pick out a plan. Then have you designated as authorized to speak on their behalf as soon as you call and you do the rest of the talking. I am very kind and polite to the marketplace rep, and so far (knock on wood) all of the AORs have gone through and I am earning commission on the sale.

I'm guessing the exchange would recognize the duplicate email and not set up an account for more than one person with that email.

Personally, I would avoid using email addresses that link to your agency. That's just inviting trouble. If the employer would allow them to set one up there, that would be the best bet.

Emails are required to be unique...

Emails are required to be unique...

The owners of this particular company use the same email address for all business and personal emails. Fortunately, they make enough that I could enroll direct with the carrier and the carrier took the data and issued the policies.

I hate the exchange. Still looking for any legal alternative.

Exchange business not really worth the time from a dollars & cents view point but I've done business with some of these people for upwards of 10 yrs & feel an obligation to keep them insured if possible.

Back