What Happens if You Don't Use an Agent?

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
What happens if you don't use an agent?

Well, you could get screwed.

An old client of mine from 5 yrs ago, relied on upon the advice from HC.gov reps, the website, and carrier reps directly. She did plenty of research, and received the same bad information consistently from all 3.

She is 63, widowed, and her only income is $18,000 a year from Social Security. She was told, that since she makes no other income, and does not file a tax return, she is not eligible for tax credits. Nobody told her that SS income counts in the MAGI calculation, and she could choose to file a return this year with $0 tax liability.

Result - she buys OFF exchange plan for $550 with 6k deductible.

If she would have talked to an agent (who knew what they were doing), she could have gotten a plan for $150/mo with a 94% CSR AV. But, because she bought OFF exchange, and there is no moving plans outside of OEP, she can't take advantage of APTC nor CSR, nor can she file a tax return and get a refund of that APTC.

Do yourself a favor, stop relying upon an 800# non licensed rep or navigator...........and call an AGENT. Y-agents? I just told you why.

I feel so sorry for this lady who is obviously stretched financially.

Not picking on you, but you gotta wonder why she went "direct" when she had you as an agent before. I don't lose many, but I have had a few go in another direction for different reasons. Really pi$$es you off when you find out not only did they cheat on you but they got royally screwed as well.

She actually was declined by Cigna 5 yrs ago, and un-insurable at that time, and never actually became a client. I had hundreds of clients/prospects that I just didn't have time to contact once Oct 1st came. I sent out blast emails in Aug / Sept to give everyone a heads up to reach out, but I didn't have time to chase anyone down.

BTW, I also rarely lose clients Bob. I just finally had some time to go through some old files / database. (especially past declines)

But she'll be VERY glad to have you help her get un-screwed in a few months..right?
ac

An old client of mine from 5 yrs ago, relied on upon the advice from HC.gov reps, the website, and carrier reps directly. She did plenty of research, and received the same bad information consistently from all 3.

She is 63, widowed, and her only income is $18,000 a year from Social Security. She was told, that since she makes no other income, and does not file a tax return, she is not eligible for tax credits. Nobody told her that SS income counts in the MAGI calculation, and she could choose to file a return this year with $0 tax liability.

Result - she buys OFF exchange plan for $550 with 6k deductible.

If she would have talked to an agent (who knew what they were doing), she could have gotten a plan for $150/mo with a 94% CSR AV. But, because she bought OFF exchange, and there is no moving plans outside of OEP, she can't take advantage of APTC nor CSR, nor can she file a tax return and get a refund of that APTC.

Do yourself a favor, stop relying upon an 800# non licensed rep or navigator...........and call an AGENT. Y-agents? I just told you why.

Wouldn't this qualify her for SEP due to the QLE?

Misrepresentation or erroneous enrollment, including:

Incorrect eligibility determination.

Put in the call to your client...be the hero!

Of course we have a 100% closing ratio. You just have to word it like a politician! I close 100% of the sales that I have closed. See? hahaha

As for Yagents being a snob, he is not. I know him well, and he's my competition here in Arizona! He has a SOLID book of business, with high persistency. His clients stay with him for the long-term, and it's because of the quality service he supplies to them consistently over a long period of time. He stated that this woman was a prospect a number of years ago, declined due to medical underwriting, and he reached out to her via a mass e-mail blast which was sent to many clients in his database that he wasn't able to help years ago. I don't think that negatively affects his persistency.

I also rarely lose clients Bob

Didn't mean to imply you did. Sorry if you took it that way.

she'll be VERY glad to have you help her get un-screwed

Is that even possible?

I know there is a surgical procedure that can "fix" things, but that doesn't mean you can still wear a white wedding gown.

Three points:
1. Wingateexpress can't have a 100% closing rate on health insurance because he's probably never written a case-go look at his posts, they are almost all in the Final Expense forum.
2. No one knows the amount of business written by any other agent during a year.
3. People get bad advice about health insurance all of the time, even from a licensed agent-this forum, for the most part, has very knowledgeable people contributing. I doubt many agents writing ACA policies have enough understanding to offer more than average to mediocre help to a client (at least half of them are probably more interested in getting an advance to put money in their empty bank accounts each week so will do whatever their manager says is right).

1. Wingateexpress can't have a 100% closing rate on health insurance because he's probably never written a case-go look at his posts, they are almost all in the Final Expense forum.

Ahh, why on earth would you suggest that anyone go back thru and read Wingateexpress's posts? In the first 10 posts I looked at this user seems to be one of the most negative persons I've encountered thus far. Little if any value in his/her posts. I do agree with FLM2..it looks unlikely that Wingateexpress has written any ACA plans.

This person may qualify for SEP under the ambiguous "bad advice/misled" catchall provision.

Obamacare: Little-known provision allows Californians stuck in bad plans to switch - ContraCostaTimes.com

But the qualifying events also include "misconduct or misinformation" that may have occurred during the enrollment period; "incorrect plan data" that may have been presented when selecting a plan and health insurers violating their contracts.

Not sure if this can help your client specifically, but it looks like some folks in CA are using this provision as an opportunity to make a change.

Latest posts

Back