What Plan Under the Affordable Car Act Would Be Best for Me?

palepanther90

I'm essentially a self employed musician and guitar teacher, and I also have a part time job at a community college. I turned 26 in October, meaning I was no longer eligible to stay on my mom's insurance plan, and the ACA was really my only option.

I signed up and I get to have a good plan with a $500 deductible, and it's only going to cost me about $50 a month based on my current income. Looks like the plan itself is worth $400, so I'm saving about $350!

Not to get political here, but I knew if Trump won this would affect me personally, with his position on repealing the ACA. If this does happen, will my insurance just be swept under my feet? It doesn't even seem worth getting now if it's just going to disappear soon. Because of this, I'm also looking at high deductible plans that would allow me to have a health savings account, and my premium would effectively be $0. Personally I have no health problems, and generally at this stage in my life I only go to the doctor when I need to. On average I may see a physician once a year, if that. I'm beginning to think the HSA plan would save me money.

So, Should I just keep my plan as is and hope for the best? Are there any other health insurance options out there for a self employed/part timer like myself that won't break the bank? I don't know much about health insurance, but it seems like paying hundreds of dollars a month is the norm and that is just not going to be a possibility for me. Keeping it under $100 would be ideal.

What state are you in?
Talk with a local agent.
Maybe someone here will feel incline to help.

I'm essentially a self employed musician and guitar teacher, and I also have a part time job at a community college. I turned 26 in October, meaning I was no longer eligible to stay on my mom's insurance plan, and the ACA was really my only option.

I signed up and I get to have a good plan with a $500 deductible, and it's only going to cost me about $50 a month based on my current income. Looks like the plan itself is worth $400, so I'm saving about $350!

Not to get political here, but I knew if Trump won this would affect me personally, with his position on repealing the ACA. If this does happen, will my insurance just be swept under my feet? It doesn't even seem worth getting now if it's just going to disappear soon. Because of this, I'm also looking at high deductible plans that would allow me to have a health savings account, and my premium would effectively be $0. Personally I have no health problems, and generally at this stage in my life I only go to the doctor when I need to. On average I may see a physician once a year, if that. I'm beginning to think the HSA plan would save me money.

So, Should I just keep my plan as is and hope for the best? Are there any other health insurance options out there for a self employed/part timer like myself that won't break the bank? I don't know much about health insurance, but it seems like paying hundreds of dollars a month is the norm and that is just not going to be a possibility for me. Keeping it under $100 would be ideal.

An HSA plan would be the wrong choice in your situation.
The tax advantages of the HSA would not help you at the lower income.
Take the tax credits, and the low deductible plan, and run.
You'll be thankful you did with one "hello" at ER room
Don't worry about what Trump may do, nothing will change for 1-2 yrs.

$50 bucks a month with a $500 deductible, I would have already signed up. As mentioned already, whatever happens with the ACA, it will not happen overnight (my thoughts anyways).

Latest posts

Back