What would national healthcare look like?

sman

Guru
5000 Post Club
I have been thinking about that question for a while now. Would it look like Medicare? Thereby creating a whole new opportunity for supplement products? Could it create a similar market as the Medicare Advantage plans if the government were to use the services of the existing insurance carriers? Or would it be a complete end to health insurance companies?

I know right now a national system seems far fetched, but I'm afraid if the stars line up just right, we may very well create a new albatross around the pocket books of every working person in this country (at least those that pay taxes).

So, what do some of you see in the way of opportunity if we get some form of national system?

So, what do some of you see in the way of opportunity if we get some form of national system?
My guess is that it would be similar to Medicare but combine some of the same features as Part D. For low income folks, the coverage would be 100%. As income grows, there would be a share of cost which could be covered by a supplement. Perhaps there would also be MA type plans.

I don't know how the government could allow competing plans for those people who want better service or to see doctors who might opt out of the govt. plan. If they did, then income would be determining quality of care and would not be fair to the middle class (who would quickly become lower class due to increased taxes).

I won't go into if this is a good or bad idea but suffice to say I'm a card carrying Libertarian so that should give everyone my feelings about this.

Rick

It would be a clusterthump. But, like it or not, we are on a train that's rolling in that direction, unfortunately. We already have national healthcare right now, for the most part.

Isn't it crazy that our government has $72 trillion dollars in unfunded entitlements already and they are talking about starting more entitlements? Raising the FICA tax across the board is the only way our government will be able to get out of this hole we are digging for our children. Nobody will vote for a candidate who even suggests raising taxes especially on middle and lower wage earners. If a national system is created the money will come from.....?

Nobody will vote for a candidate who even suggests raising taxes especially on middle and lower wage earners.

Really? And how do you explain the Democratic party and the 50% of the country (excuse me - of the voters) who vote for them? They SAY they want to raise taxes on the rich, but have you looked at what they consider rich?

When they raise taxes, it will be on just about all who actually pay taxes. Keep in mind, the bottom 50% of wage earners don't really pay any federal income tax. And it doesn't take much to be in the top 50%.

Unfortunately, we really have a large number of voters who are uneducated about what they are actually voting for or against. I hope we never have universal health care, but there is a ton of momentum in that direction. Even McCain is talking about doing something to help with the costs of health care. Granted, I don't consider him to be much of a Conservative, but he's the choice against Obama or Hillary.

A wise man once said this....

"Are you willing to spend time studying the issues, making yourself aware, and then conveying that information to family and friends? Will you resist the temptation to get a government handout for your community? Realize that the doctor's fight against socialized medicine is your fight. We can't socialize the doctors without socializing the patients. Recognize that government invasion of public power is eventually an assault upon your own business. If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last."

Wow Al!! Quoted directly from the leftist playbook.

National healthcare is going to happen, it should happen, it will be a good thing for the vast majority of the people when it does happen, and we should all embrace it as an industry.

Al, where do you propose we get the money to pay for it? We have a progressive tax system where the more you make, the higher percentage you pay. You must think that's fair. If so, how about we start implementing those same rules for everything we spend money on. Next time you go to a restaurant, ask them for the menu that shows the different prices for income levels. Same for groceries or gas.

I'm not greedy. I just think I pay enough. I give close to 15% of my income to charities (and that's of my gross income). So don;t start riding in on your high horse and claim that it has to do with greed of others.

How many people do you think are employed by health insurers? If those jobs are eliminated, where do they go. In looking at 3 carriers (United Health, Wellpoint and Humana) they have over 130,000 full-time employees.

who have no social conscience and could care less what happens to those less fortunate then themselves... i.e. those who can't afford premiums and thus don't provide said agents with a commission stream or the rest of the infrastructure with an obscene amount of money for wasteful procedures and "services.

Love terms like "less fortunate". It indicates that somehow that person isn't responsible for their situation. Sure there are cases where someone is less fortunate. But you forget, we live in a country where ANYONE can make it. We are the sum result of all of our choices we make. I see it everyday, someone driving a $30k-$40k vehicle, living in a $300k house (that's a nice house here in Georgia - 3,000+ square feet on an acre of land), eating out 3+ times per week with cell phones, cable, high speed internet, etc. and they say they can't "afford" health insurance. I say their priorities are out of whack. But to each his own. I don't believe it to be my responsibility to pay for that persons health care. And let's not even get started on those with poor lifestyles.

Back