Where Are the ACA Navigator Positions?

Speaking of tax decisions, does anyone have official guidance on how subsidies are counted for tax purposes? Do you have to report the value of your APTC's? Does it technically count as income? Could you not pay income taxes, use that cash to purchase healthcare, and use the APTC to pay your income tax?

Sorry to threadjack, but the whole navigators explaining tax decisions thing got me thinking.

Speaking of tax decisions, does anyone have official guidance on how subsidies are counted for tax purposes? Do you have to report the value of your APTC's? Does it technically count as income?
APTC (subsidies) are not counted as income.

Could you not pay income taxes, use that cash to purchase healthcare, and use the APTC to pay your income tax?
Theoretically, maybe. If you use cash to purchase QHB on the exchange, you may get a subsidy as a refund when you file your tax return. If you hadn't paid your taxes for the year, then the subsidy wouldn't actually be a refund unless it exceeded the amount of tax owed.

BTW, to get a subsidy, you must file taxes. If you are not required to file taxes (such as if your income is less than the tax filing threshold), you must file a tax return to be considered an "applicable taxpayer".

Sorry to threadjack, but the whole navigators explaining tax decisions thing got me thinking.[/QUOTE]

August 15, 2013

As was pointed out in another thread today, the Navigator Grants have officially been doled out to entities all across America.

In Illinois, 11 organizations will share a paltry $3 million that has to last from October 2013 thru March 2014.

Link to Entities and $$$ Amounts: Health law navigator grants in Illinois total $3 million

Here is what I'm confused about. I thought Navigators were people who sat in a big Exchange-Based call center, answered the phone, and helped consumers apply for subsidies and health plans.

This can't happen with all these various organizations receiving money. What is each organization expected to do? Set up mini call centers complete with computers securely connected to the Exchange, headsets, screen out the crooks, train the right people, and be ready to roll in 45 days?!?! No way!
-ac

It appears navigators are going to be places that already serve face to face the under-served. For instance in Iowa, Visiting Nurses is one navigator group. They have many services both health related and social work. I think many navigator organizations are going to be social work type not for profits. The navigator are to the best of my estimation existing not for profits that already serve the segments that are likely to qualify for Medicaid or just over. There aren't going to be a bunch of new businesses popping up like many expected in the beginning.

Back