Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Health Care Reform Forum

Reply to Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son     
Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Guru
Duaine on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: Duaine is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son
When Lindsay Franks received a letter from the Department of Health and Human Services’ health insurance marketplace in January, she was certain it was a scam.

“Important,” the letter read. “Respond within 60 days to keep your Marketplace health coverage.”

The message, dated Jan. 13, 2015, looked official, with the federal marketplace’s logo pasted in the upper left-hand corner. But the letter asked Lindsay to provide documentation for her husband, Nikolas, and 4-year-old son, Pierce, to verify their citizenship. This seemed off to the young mother and wife: Nikolas and Lindsay were born in the Carolinas, and Pierce was born on U.S. soil and was issued a Social Security number and birth certificate with the blessing of the U.S. government.

Plus, the address listed from the Department of Health and Human Services was London, Ky., not Washington, D.C., where the federal agency is located.

More: Why This Family Struggled to Secure Insurance for Their Son
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son
Old 05-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Guru
MaryDallas on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: MaryDallas is an Insurance Agent from Texas
MaryDallas is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son Re: Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son
And there are almost a million stories like this one now: this has turned into a travesty.

Make It A Great Day!
  Reply With Quote to Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son
Old 05-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Guru
insuranceconceptscindy on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: insuranceconceptscindy is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son Re: Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son
I'm going to be a jerk about this for a moment.
If you read the entire article, the very last sentence, she says, "of all the groups, kids with disabilities shouldn't be targeted."
That ticks me off. While, her situation is frustrating, due to the ineptitude that is the Federal Marketplace, she was not singled out. Kids with disabilities are not "flagged". Why is it that people think this is personal? Like they are the only ones? Get over yourself! No one knew your kid has an issue- he's another number in the system. Argh!! If you would respond to the letters you received, you would never have been in this position.
What happened to the common sense in our country?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Guru

State: sman is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
sman is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son
Originally Posted by insuranceconceptscindy View Post
I'm going to be a jerk about this for a moment. If you read the entire article, the very last sentence, she says, "of all the groups, kids with disabilities shouldn't be targeted." That ticks me off. While, her situation is frustrating, due to the ineptitude that is the Federal Marketplace, she was not singled out. Kids with disabilities are not "flagged". Why is it that people think this is personal? Like they are the only ones? Get over yourself! No one knew your kid has an issue- he's another number in the system. Argh!! If you would respond to the letters you received, you would never have been in this position. What happened to the common sense in our country?
I agree with everything except your next to last sentence. There are countless people who have uploaded AND mailed their verification documents multiple times and still either lose their subsidy and/or coverage.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Guru
kgmom219 on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: kgmom219 is an Insurance Agent from Texas
kgmom219 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by insuranceconceptscindy View Post
What happened to the common sense in our country?
Or personal responsibility? One of those.

Good things don't come to those who wait. They come to those who work their butts off and never give up.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Guru

State: sman is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
sman is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son
Originally Posted by kgmom219 View Post
Or personal responsibility? One of those.
The gubment doesn't see a need for people to take personal responsibility.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Guru
YouGotMyMoney on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: YouGotMyMoney is an Insurance Agent from Florida
YouGotMyMoney is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by sman View Post
I agree with everything except your next to last sentence. There are countless people who have uploaded AND mailed their verification documents multiple times and still either lose their subsidy and/or coverage.
100% True, this lady played Chicken with Obama and lost. Didn't know homie ain't playin....lol

The marketplace is like playing slots, you get a different result each time.

I've had someone get a 5-2 effective date, when calling in on 5-1 because they didn't send in doc's/marketplace never got them, and all the other people calling after 4/15 got 6-1, totally unjust, all they can do is file an appeal and wait wait wait, in lot's of market's picking a different carrier isn't even an option due to the increased cost.

However, I did take pleasure in telling someone who was biatchin' about Assurant, that they should count their blessings, cuz next year they ain't offering plans, AND by the time FL Blue Options and Cigna go up another 15-30% you will only have HMO's, so suck on that! HA

Yeah * Yeah * Call Me Steve-O
Old 05-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
Guru
taterpeeler on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: taterpeeler is an Insurance Agent from Texas
taterpeeler is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
all missing the point... had this lady had an agent or broker she would have called and we would have said send me the docs and I will up load it... you get what you get and don't throw a fit

I can't spell, I can't write..... and I can't be bothered if you dont like it.

Texas Health Insurance

Texas Medicare Supplement
Old 05-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
Guru
YouGotMyMoney on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: YouGotMyMoney is an Insurance Agent from Florida
YouGotMyMoney is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by taterpeeler View Post
all missing the point... had this lady had an agent or broker she would have called and we would have said send me the docs and I will up load it... you get what you get and don't throw a fit
she prob spoke to an agent and just went to hc.gov on her own I have a feeling..

Yeah * Yeah * Call Me Steve-O
Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 AM   #10
Guru
Glen Shelton on Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

State: Glen Shelton is an Insurance Agent from Oregon
Glen Shelton is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by taterpeeler View Post
...Or Rick was this lady's agent and he didn't care enough to do anything about it.

Reply to Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Health Care Reform Forum

Tags
health insurance