Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
When Lindsay Franks received a letter from the Department of Health and Human Services’ health insurance marketplace in January, she was certain it was a scam.

“Important,” the letter read. “Respond within 60 days to keep your Marketplace health coverage.”

The message, dated Jan. 13, 2015, looked official, with the federal marketplace’s logo pasted in the upper left-hand corner. But the letter asked Lindsay to provide documentation for her husband, Nikolas, and 4-year-old son, Pierce, to verify their citizenship. This seemed off to the young mother and wife: Nikolas and Lindsay were born in the Carolinas, and Pierce was born on U.S. soil and was issued a Social Security number and birth certificate with the blessing of the U.S. government.

Plus, the address listed from the Department of Health and Human Services was London, Ky., not Washington, D.C., where the federal agency is located.

More: Why This Family Struggled to Secure Insurance for Their Son

I'm going to be a jerk about this for a moment.
If you read the entire article, the very last sentence, she says, "of all the groups, kids with disabilities shouldn't be targeted."
That ticks me off. While, her situation is frustrating, due to the ineptitude that is the Federal Marketplace, she was not singled out. Kids with disabilities are not "flagged". Why is it that people think this is personal? Like they are the only ones? Get over yourself! No one knew your kid has an issue- he's another number in the system. Argh!! If you would respond to the letters you received, you would never have been in this position.
What happened to the common sense in our country?

I'm going to be a jerk about this for a moment. If you read the entire article, the very last sentence, she says, "of all the groups, kids with disabilities shouldn't be targeted." That ticks me off. While, her situation is frustrating, due to the ineptitude that is the Federal Marketplace, she was not singled out. Kids with disabilities are not "flagged". Why is it that people think this is personal? Like they are the only ones? Get over yourself! No one knew your kid has an issue- he's another number in the system. Argh!! If you would respond to the letters you received, you would never have been in this position. What happened to the common sense in our country?

I agree with everything except your next to last sentence. There are countless people who have uploaded AND mailed their verification documents multiple times and still either lose their subsidy and/or coverage.

I agree with everything except your next to last sentence. There are countless people who have uploaded AND mailed their verification documents multiple times and still either lose their subsidy and/or coverage.

100% True, this lady played Chicken with Obama and lost. Didn't know homie ain't playin....lol

The marketplace is like playing slots, you get a different result each time.

I've had someone get a 5-2 effective date, when calling in on 5-1 because they didn't send in doc's/marketplace never got them, and all the other people calling after 4/15 got 6-1, totally unjust, all they can do is file an appeal and wait wait wait, in lot's of market's picking a different carrier isn't even an option due to the increased cost.

However, I did take pleasure in telling someone who was biatchin' about Assurant, that they should count their blessings, cuz next year they ain't offering plans, AND by the time FL Blue Options and Cigna go up another 15-30% you will only have HMO's, so suck on that! HA

all missing the point... had this lady had an agent or broker she would have called and we would have said send me the docs and I will up load it... you get what you get and don't throw a fit

she prob spoke to an agent and just went to hc.gov on her own I have a feeling..

Back