Why Not Single Payer

Hey Junkman please go back to Obamaville!

Sam I am, make a contribution. Don't throw stones. I could have expressed my true feelings giving the short version saying Pinche Trump but I intentionally held back until you asked.

You are free to go anywhere you want.

:SLEEP:

All true. Trump has shown very little creativity and seems to being molded to a career politician. I voted against Hillary understanding Trump could be a train wreck. Bet his kids like the abolishing estate tax proposal.

Now, he's closed the EPA, started digging dirty coal, trying to cut taxes on the wealthy (only), and trying to start a reporting agency strictly for reporting crimes by illegal little green men (aliens). WTF??? do we really need our citizens reporting to the federal government like what was set up in Nazi Germany?

Guess I may as well add it to my sig. Pinche Trump.

Junk, I wonder if you ever have anything useful (from an insurance perspective) to add to this forum. Seems it is mostly your personal political rant forum.

And FWIW I suspect your leftist views put you in the minority on this forum.

Junk, I wonder if you ever have anything useful (from an insurance perspective) to add to this forum. Seems it is mostly your personal political rant forum.

And FWIW I suspect your leftist views put you in the minority on this forum.

Sometimes.

Perhaps. AND, please note that leftist is relative and in my opinion, my as you say "leftist views" are mostly from a perspective of watching freedoms erode in the name of "safety".

Back in the 60s, my Grandfather said "I don't see what's wrong with "probable cause". Today, my police friends say that "if I want to stop someone, I'll make probable cause". I note that hangings are down but unarmed people still get shot by the police.

We read books like Animal Farm, 1984 & Gulag Achipelago in HS and wondered how any of this could possibly come to pass. Solzhenitsyn warned early in the book "you in the US don't think it could happen in your country, but it could." Now, we have personal tracking device in our pocket that happens to make phone calls, cameras all over the place and a Prez setting up an entity for citizens to report to the government on other citizens.

Erosion happens a little at a time and the eroded if slow enough is hardly noticed and becomes the new norm. A friend used to say "a little larceny is a good thing". Many in this country are willing to be monitored and legislatively give up freedoms in the hope of feeling safe. They are still not safe and don't feel safe so what was accomplished? In my opinion, nothing.

You are free (sort of) to disagree - today but perhaps not tomorrow.

Re insurance: there are some on this forum that I consider to be very competent and ethical even while disagreeing on other things. You are one and I would have my wife consider your advice were I incapacitated. The good news is, I'm not and you may not be licensed in TN or CA.

California has a new single payer Bill. it looks like an excellent idea.
Its free healthcare for everyone. Maybe Nancy wont read it and they will actually pass this. just triple the state budget.

SB 562
CHAPTER 3. Eligibility and Enrollment

100620. (a) Every resident of the state shall be eligible and entitled to enroll as a member under the program.

(b) (1) A member shall not be required to pay any fee, payment, or other charge for enrolling in or being a member under the program.

(2) A member shall not be required to pay any premium, copayment, coinsurance, deductible, and any other form of cost sharing for all covered benefits.

(c) A college, university, or other institution of higher education in the state may purchase coverage under the program for a student, or a student’s dependent, who is not a resident of the state.

CHAPTER 4. Benefits

100630. (a) Covered health care benefits under the program include all medical care determined to be medically appropriate by the member’s health care provider.

(b) Covered health care benefits for members shall include, but are not limited to, all of the following:

(1) Licensed inpatient and licensed outpatient medical and health facility services.

(2) Inpatient and outpatient professional health care provider medical services.

(3) Diagnostic imaging, laboratory services, and other diagnostic and evaluative services.

(4) Medical equipment, appliances, and assistive technology, including prosthetics, eyeglasses, and hearing aids and the repair, technical support, and customization needed for individual use.

(5) Inpatient and outpatient rehabilitative care.

(6) Emergency care services.

(7) Emergency transportation.

(8) Necessary transportation for health care services for persons with disabilities or who may qualify as low income.

(9) Child and adult immunizations and preventive care.

(10) Health and wellness education.

(11) Hospice care.

(12) Care in a skilled nursing facility.

(13) Home health care, including health care provided in an assisted living facility.

(14) Mental health services.

(15) Substance abuse treatment.

(16) Dental care.

(17) Vision care.

(18) Prescription drugs.

(19) Pediatric care.

(20) Prenatal and postnatal care.

(21) Podiatric care.

(22) Chiropractic care.

(23) Acupuncture.

(24) Therapies that are shown by the National Institutes of Health, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health to be safe and effective.

(25) Blood and blood products.

(26) Dialysis.

(27) Adult day care.

(28) Rehabilitative and habilitative services.

(29) Ancillary health care or social services previously covered by county integrated health and human services programs pursuant to Chapter 12.96 (commencing with Section 18986.60) and Chapter 12.991 (commencing with Section 18986.86) of Part 6 of Division 9 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

(30) Ancillary health care or social services previously covered by a regional center for persons with developmental disabilities pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 4620) of Division 4.5 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

(31) Case management and care coordination.

(32) Language interpretation and translation for health care services, including sign language and Braille or other services needed for individuals with communication barriers.

(33) Health care and long-term supportive services currently covered under Medi-Cal or the state’s Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Program.

(34) Covered benefits for members shall also include all health care services required to be covered under any of the following provisions, without regard to whether the member would otherwise be eligible for or covered by the program or source referred to:

(A) The state’s Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) (Title XXI of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1397aa et seq.)).

(B) Medi-Cal (Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 14000) of Part 3 of Division 9 of the Welfare and Institutions Code).

(C) The federal Medicare program pursuant to Title XVIII of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1395 et seq.).

(D) Health care service plans pursuant to the Knox-Keene Health Care Service Plan Act of 1975 (Chapter 2.2 (commencing with Section 1340) of Division 2 of the Health and Safety Code).

(E) Health insurers, as defined in Section 106 of the Insurance Code, pursuant to Part 2 (commencing with Section 10110) of Division 2 of the Insurance Code.

(F) Any additional health care services authorized to be added to the program’s benefits by the program.

(G) All essential health benefits mandated by the Affordable Care Act as of January 1, 2017.

Same adverse selection as ACA unless all who are not covered under another plan are enrolled in this. Definition of "another" is important. Unfortunately, those coming up with this stuff violate basic principles necessary to make the thing work. More unfortunately, when we have such examples not working, people conclude that it won't work.

We had a group of "consultants" who initially were allowed to be on an individual plan, spouse plan, client's plan or their employer plan. Only 1 carrier agreed to write the group of 100 enrolled + dependents. Claims were horrible and they got 20% renewals. Claims immediately settled down to what would be considered normal once we nixed the individual plans and had their clients paying money instead of benefits. Of course, this had to be done in stages because those with inexpensive underwritten plans or rich client plans didn't want to change. Interestingly, those plans went away in approximately 2 renewals time.

There will never be a public option that works until all are enrolled and plan design encourages price competition at the provider level. I've met wealthy Canadians that winter in FL and get their elective stuff or at least things that could be postponed taken care on in FL while on vacation. The wealthy will always have better care because they can buy it which is as it should be.

Latest posts

Back