Compensation for my Time Spent Itemizing my Destroyed Goods

mcalanch

Hello,

My garage was pretty well destroyed by an arson fire. I had mutplie bicycles and parts new and used in the garage as mountain biking is my main hobby. Not trusting that a disaster restoration company would know what they were looking at as many of the destoyed items were specialized and unique, I have gone through and photographed and itemized all of the items that I was able to find. I have also done multiple trips to the local dump getting rid of items after I have documented them. My question is......how do I go about making sure that I get fairly compensated for my time spent in this process? Is there a industry standard hourly rate for this type of work? I have a rough idea of how much ti e I have spent and have made some notes as to when and where....but I know it is far from totally exact. Due I submit an invoice to the insurance company?

please help

thank you

matt in bend oregon

No, cataloging your stuff is your responsibility. Generally it should be done as you buy the items and in case of a loss it would of saved you a lot of time. Send them an invoice if you like, it will give your adjuster a good laugh.

Generally when I meet with my clients I tell them it is a good idea to catalog and inventory their personal goods even though it is a time-consuming project for the exact reasons you listed. Insurance will not compensate you for your time as this is considered due diligence on your part. The only instance I know of that an insurance agency will compensate you for time is when you are performing your own repairs and labor on a loss.

:1confused:
Hello,

My garage was pretty well destroyed by an arson fire. I had mutplie bicycles and parts new and used in the garage as mountain biking is my main hobby. Not trusting that a disaster restoration company would know what they were looking at as many of the destoyed items were specialized and unique, I have gone through and photographed and itemized all of the items that I was able to find. I have also done multiple trips to the local dump getting rid of items after I have documented them. My question is......how do I go about making sure that I get fairly compensated for my time spent in this process? Is there a industry standard hourly rate for this type of work? I have a rough idea of how much ti e I have spent and have made some notes as to when and where....but I know it is far from totally exact. Due I submit an invoice to the insurance company?

please help

thank you

matt in bend oregon

Matt,

Cost and effort to prepare documentation for your claim is your responsibility.

Back