Insurance Loss and Divorce

It we were to suffer a complete insurance loss on the house while it's vacant, how would the settlement work?

you split the insurance check with your ex......then sell the lot to a custom home builder which yall split.....

If it sits on the market to long, you need to get a vacant policy. Your regular home owners policy will not cover you.

My company wouldn't pay if there is no rebuild. Insurance is not profit but to put you back where you were.

Neither party has the ability to live in the house, otherwise one of us would own it outright already and, of course, would want it to be rebuilt in the event of a loss.

You mean no one is living in the house now? That would likely be a HUGE DENY of coverage! If someone is there and there is a total lose, the lose of use coverage would apply.

You can split money between two parties, you can't split a house in two. To rebuild it so it can be put up for sale when it's finished is problematic, at best.

:skeptical: You can split property between two parties. It is called buying the other party out.

What did your insurance agent say when you asked him????? If I had an insured ask me, I would put a HUGE red star on their policy.

Back