Blue Cross of Illinois - 2016 News of Interest

Friday, November 13, 2015

Illinois agents, be sure to read this past Wednesday's "News From the Blues" agent newsletter.

"Many" of our Grandmothered clients (those who purchased plans between/during 2010 and 2013) will see a larger premium increase than what was indicated on the letter they received in late October. There was a calculation error. Revised notices will be sent out when this error is resolved.

No it is on the HC.gov and it looks it's cheaper than Blue Choice Preferred. They also included that plan in their 2016 product training guide.

I have had calls from two Florida snowbirds. The multi-state plan may be the plan for them ... if there are any providers. It's my understanding the multi-state plans are only offer through the exchange.

Otherwise, how are you writing snowbirds that are in Florida 12/1 to 5/1?

July 22, 2015

I heard rumors of this, but because they were so extraordinary, I didn't believe them. But it now appears the rumors are true. BCBS-IL has been approved to cancel not only the Grandmothered plans (see my prior post), but the PPO and Multi-State plans sold after 1/1/2014 as well! This will leave only HMO plans in the BCBSIL portfolio.

Somebody, please look over the BCBSIL letter(s) to the IL Director of Insurance at this SERFF page and tell me if I'm interpreting this correctly.

Link: https://filingaccess.serff.com/sfa/search/filingSummary.xhtml?filingId=130136868

ac

When licensing for ACA they let us know, that old Marketplace plans could do not be offered anymore, but people who have them already, should be able to keep them (after reasonable increase). Not the first above and not the second.
Correct me if I am :mad:wrong???

When licensing for ACA they let us know, that old Marketplace plans could do not be offered anymore, but people who have them already, should be able to keep them (after reasonable increase). Not the first above and not the second.
Correct me if I am :mad:wrong???

Blue Cross took a lot of heat from various agencies for wanting to cancel the GrandMothered (2010 thur 2013) plans. At some point, BCBSIL changed it's mind, and allowed these plans to stay in effect through 2016, but with a big rate increase on the individual's policy anniversary date in 2016.

For those of you wondering what effect BCBSIL's reduction in PPO member-providers for 2016 is having, here a pretty good 11.27.2015 Chicago Tribune article describing how people are reacting, as they learn about this unwelcome change to their PPO network.

Story: Blue Cross cancellation sends consumers scrambling - Chicago Tribune

I hope all agents are reaching out to inform your "Blue PPO" clients of this. Most received the BCBSIL letter, but it doesn't explicitly state that, "Your new 2016 PPO network will reduce the current number of available physicians and hospitals by approximately 40%.". As a result, they probably won't know this until they hear from you. BCBSIL "Blue PPO" customers are just assuming that because the new 2016 plan premium is LOWER, that Obamacare is doing what the President promised..that is, bending the cost curve downward. They aren't bothering to look beyond that lower premium shown near the front part of their 9 page letter.

Important BCBS-IL info that some of you may not be aware of:

Discontinued Members: Dec. 31, 2015

Members in discontinued plans have until Dec. 31, 2015, to make changes for a Jan. 1, 2016, effective date. If a discontinued member enrolls in a new plan (other than the mapped plan) after December 15, 2015, the member will need to indicate the loss of Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) on the application in order to receive a Jan. 1, 2016, effective date.

My GA sent this:

Deadline for January 1st Effective Date for Individual Open Enrollment Extended until Tuesday,
December 22nd

BCBS has extended the deadline for Jan. 1, 2016, effective dates until Tuesday, December 22nd.

All applications must be received by Blue Cross Blue Shield no later than 11:59 CST on Tuesday, December 22nd.

Only paper applications submitted directly to BCBS will be accepted.

Please do not submit to MIBS as we are no longer accepting OE applications for January 1st.

On the first page of the application note that the effective date should be 1/1/2016. Paper applications can either be uploaded or faxed to the following numbers:

I don't see any new Medicare Supplement materials in the Forms and Brochures section of the BCBSIL.com agent portal. Does this mean that there will not be the usual first of the year MedSupp premium increase? Anyone hear anything one way or the other?
-ac

The new PPO network blue choice preferred is not an option in the downstate market. In the Effingham and Coles/County area they are not including the 2 largest hospitals in the area. St. Anthony and Sarah Bush. This also mean the new networks will not be covered by all the doctors in the area. The next closest Hospital is 30 miles away in Shelbyville or south in centralia. I have been scrambling the last few weeks.

The only option in our area is with Health Alliance or Coventry. Land of Lincoln already closed shop for the year. Health Alliance is the go to option. Coventry is much more expensive.

More carrier options would hopefully bring some lower rates but I don't see that on the horizon.

Back