Blue Cross of Illinois - 2016 News of Interest

June 3, 2016

The Illinois Dept of Insurance says that it will not release the Blue Cross (or any other company's) 2017 rate change requests until August 1st.

But as you can see from this article, the Blue Cross sister companies in Texas and Oklahoma are requesting huge increases for 2017.

Link: Blue Cross premium hikes in Texas, Oklahoma could mean Illinois sticker shock - Chicago Tribune :err:

ac

If we calculate, their loss is $227.27 per person per year, and there is no reason to make increase of 50%.

Losses are mostly based on overcharges from hospitals and doctors. If the population can't pay normal services, it means these services are overpriced.

July 9, 2016

I was disappointed to find this week that BCBS-IL has stopped selling Short Term Medical plans, and pulled all quoting ability, and related brochures from the public and agent sections of Health Insurance Illinois | Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois .

Does anyone know why? Perhaps I overlooked seeing this in a BCBSIL e-mail, newsletter, or something.

Not many people could pay all the months in advance, like Blue Cross required. But those who could afford it, got a heck of a good plan.

BCBSIL pulled STM several weeks ago. I was told they are submitting a new version to the IL Dept of Ins. for approval. (Smaller network anyone?)

No matter to me, I've preferred HCC's for years. ID card & policy emailed in seconds, Rx discount card, huge Aetna network, better prices... but:

CMS ruled last week STM's are considered 'disruptive to the insurance market', which I agree needs to happen quickly - but this can hurt real people.

New rules for 1/1/17:
-3 months policy max duration
-No renewals / rewrites

I wonder if they'll be policing new writes with other carriers...

They're doing all they can to force people to stay covered continuously - and to not consider paying the penalty a lifestyle choice - but a true obligation - like taxes.

They also eliminated 7 categories of SEP eligibility.

Hey, if the Ins Co's can get back into healthy black numbers, maybe we will again be able to be comped for our hard work.

Back