IL: Getting Ready for 2016

Could it be because maybe they didn't raise their rates over 10%?

I wish it was that simple, Sam. The lack of public reporting and accountability by every one of the 23 state Co-Ops is a bit un-nerving.

Take Land of Lincoln Health for example. LOLH doesn't have to file any of its Department of Insurance requests on the public SERFF website, like private companies do. Aetna, Humana, Blue Cross, Coventry... they all put their rate changes, policy changes, form changes, etc.. on the public SERFF website.

Also there's no official data coming out of Land of Lincoln Health for the rating services to pick up on. We don't know if they're paying claims properly, doing a good job in customer service areas, etc.. All we see are the negative reviews from consumers. Lots of negative reviews. For instance, Google Reviews gives LOLH 1.6 stars, out of 5 possible. That's equivalent to a grade of D-, or something like that.

If Land of Lincoln Health has some good news to report regarding this year's performance and what it expects to deliver in 2016, now would be a good time for them to start getting the word out. Thus far, the individual insurance market for Illinois has been nothing but negative news for 2016.

I filled out an Opinion-Request at Governor Bruce Rauner's website Contact Us yesterday. Asked that LOLH be made to adhere to the same standards of openness and transparency as all the other health insurers doing business in Illinois.
ac

August 9, 2015

FYI..CELTIC will not be selling any individual plans in Illinois for 2016..on or off exchange. All policies sold prior to December of this year (2015), will be canceled on 12/31/2015. Notification letter from Celtic to the Illinois DOI is attached to this post.
ac

Attachments

• CELTIC.Discontinuation.Effective.12.31.2015..Ltr to IL DOI Stephens 7-29-15.pdf
    151.5 KB · Views: 2
A couple years ago I use to write so much business with them. They kept asking me to be in their newsletter. My rep Tammy use always personally notify me when my deals got approved. I would get these huge bonus checks which they paid me in travelers checks....ahh memories.

Regarding the poor online reviews for LOLH - what's the alternative? BCBS?

BBB - 1 Star (how do they only have one review?)
YELP - 1.5 Star (63 reviews)
Consumeraffairs - 1 Star (43 votes)

I haven't taken a survey or anything from my LOLH clients but I haven't heard anything bad...so that's awesome!

Regarding the poor online reviews for LOLH - what's the alternative? BCBS?

BBB - 1 Star (how do they only have one review?)
YELP - 1.5 Star (63 reviews)
Consumeraffairs - 1 Star (43 votes)

I haven't taken a survey or anything from my LOLH clients but I haven't heard anything bad...so that's awesome!

I haven't heard anything negative from my LOLH clients either. Then again, I only have (about) 14 of them. From what I see of the various LOLH feedback online, "no news" from my clients is good news!

Keeping fingers crossed that LOLH is not going to increase premiums beyond what the new BCBSIL plans will cost. LOLH has already confirmed that they're keeping their unique tiered/nationwide PPO network structure, which is great news, considering that BCBSIL will be reducing the medical provider participation of their new (and only) PPO for 2016.

Alan what do you mean they are reducing the providers? I know they will have one PPO I assume the ones that were in the other bcbs ppo's will be in that one to. Am I missing something?

Alan what do you mean they are reducing the providers? I know they will have one PPO I assume the ones that were in the other bcbs ppo's will be in that one to. Am I missing something?

Hi Sam. Blue Cross is replacing the "Blue PPO" with "Blue Choice Select PPO" on all Individually owned policies, effective 1/1/2016. The Blue Choice Select PPO is currently used with Group Plans that want a lower premium. Here's a description of the Blue Choice Select PPO, from the BCBSIL website.

Blue Choice Select PPOSM - Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

In its 2016 filing with the IL DOI, Blue Cross is replacing the current Blue PPO prescription formulary with the "Generics Plus" version as well. I don't know what the implications are with this change, however.

You might want to revisit the links I posted in the "Blue Cross" thread.

ac

October 16, 2015

RE: https://filingaccess.serff.com/sfa/home/il

Today, the Illinois Dept of Insurance and/or HHS approved a boatload of rates and plans from every company that will be listed on Healthcare.gov for Illinois, including Land of Lincoln Health.

If interested in seeing the numbers, and newly approved documents, go to SERFF at the above link and just enter 10/15/2015 as the "disposition start date" and browse away.

Last edited:
October 20, 2015

CHICAGO — Illinois consumers shopping for health insurance for 2016 will see familiar companies, newcomers and health plans with narrow networks when the marketplace opens in less than two weeks.

The Illinois Department of Insurance on Tuesday announced the companies approved to sell plans on the exchange where about 297,000 Illinoisans now get coverage.

Aetna is participating again after taking a year off. Blue Cross Blue Shield is back. So is Land of Lincoln Health, which has announced it will cap customers at 70,000 after suffering financial losses.

Other companies are Celtic Insurance, Coventry, Health Alliance, Humana, Harken Health and United Healthcare.

Consumers who qualify can get federal subsidies by buying a health plan through the marketplace. The third enrollment season under President Barack Obama's health care law begins Nov. 1.

Source: Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Land of Lincoln to offer health plans on Illinois exchange

Back