Im seeking advice from health agents!!

Ramond B

Guru
100+ Post Club
I would first like to introduce my self. My name is Raymond Bartreau. I am the owner of Best Rate Referrals LLC. Over the last 6 years I have been consulting Mortgage Brokers and LOs a like how to generate more business. We also have a telemarketing center in Las Vegas Nevada that we use to generate leads for them. We are looking to get into setting appointments for health insurance agents to go into new businesses and sell their policies.

I am looking for some advice from health agents that actually target new small business. Any advice at all would be great, such as, the best cities to do this wrok in, what is the average price for these types of leads, what are the average closing ratios on this type of marketing with american telemarketers? What are other companies minimums? Etc...

We did do a beta test in Las Vegas with an agent that actually cold called our office one time for insurance. We invited him in and he got our business. It turned a lightbulb on in my head and we ran a test for him. Out of 100 appointments over a 2 month span he wrote policies on 58% of them. Is this a good ratio? I don't know how many policies total he got but he did tell me that he got half individual and half group.

We are about to release these for sell to the open market but before I do I want to make sure I have everything down pat. maybe I can run a beta test for a couple members of this board to see where I can improve the campaign before we release it for sell.

Any help or feed back would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:
All of us can hire someone to call small business owners and generate 2-4 good leads per hour. And there are other methods discussed that have yielded even better results.

If you can sell that type of lead for about $5 each...you might have some business.

Re setting appointments...I have found that I prefer to NOT have an outside party set the appointment for me.

Raymond -

Good luck with your adventure. To be honest, there seems to be a rash of individuals starting down this path. Most simply generate leads, sounds like you want to step this up and set appointments.

I do property and casualty insurance, so this isn't a clean answer for you, but I've tried outsourcing appointment setting, paid by the hour, rather than the appointment, and it was a miserable failure. Part of this is my market, which is way over telemarketed (San Francisco Bay Area).

Dan

Thanks George and Dan for you responses. I know most can hire their own telemarketer to do this but does everyone? As far as generating appointments yeah that is the plan. I figure that the ratio of policies written will be much higher if you are in front of the people. Granted I do this with an American telemarketing center in Nevada so they all speak good English and setting appointments is what they have done in the mortgage business for the last 4 year. With that said do you think it would be an attractive product to health agents?

The way I was thinking is that you would have 4-5 appointments sitting on your email every day and you just had to show up and write deals on 3 of those pretty consistently. I know I can get the ratio even higher with a little help from some industry professionals.

I’m willing to beta test if there are a couple members here that feel confident enough to go to the appointments. Dan you seem a little optimistic. How about we send you 10 of them to see how you can do? They will be FREE of course i'm trying to get some feedback so that I can get the best product before I do start selling them.

Let me know and if anyone out there has tried companies that do this your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I simply don't want to be making mistakes as I dive into this new venture. If you research me you will find that I have done very well for the mortgage industry but I did so by doing research before marketing any products. You can simply google my name Raymond Bartreau. My call center sits empty from 700 am Nevada time to 1230 pm Nevada time and i’m looking to fill it up and run insurance appointments during the day and the mortgage campaign at night.

If you have any advice or feedback let me know!

Let me get this straight - from cold-calling small biz owners this guy wrote 58 policies half of which - or 29 were group policies. 29 group policies in 2 months? There's 50 working days in 2 months which means he closed a new group deal every 1.7 days.

I'm smelling something and it's not the fish my wife's cooking downstairs.

Good thing they all "speak good English"

There are definitely a few telemarketing firms that focus on the insurance industry and do a good job. There are a few that clearly make money and have been around for a long time, so there is definitely room for the business model to work.

However, we see a lot of people fail at this, so be careful. In my opinion, any time you do lead generation, you want to make sure to be in it for the long haul. If you make individual decisions based on your long-term goals, then you will have a better shot at success. If you get a reputation as honest business, with a decent crediting policy and can show a decent ROI then you will make it.

Most of our members are independent agents who work on their own or with just a few people. We have little patience and long memories, so you only get one shot. Your best bet would be to contact middle sized insurance agencies that can afford to buy a lot of leads and give it a long-term shot. Ultimately the model works. If you call x number of people, you get y number at just the right time. It usually gets screwed up by bad business decisions or scaling up too fast.

Let me get this straight - from cold-calling small biz owners this guy wrote 58 policies half of which - or 29 were group policies. 29 group policies in 2 months? There's 50 working days in 2 months which means he closed a new group deal every 1.7 days.

I'm smelling something and it's not the fish my wife's cooking downstairs.
Actually let me clarify. It took us two months total to generate the 100 apppointments. The agent gave me a report about 3 weeks after the campaign was done. He also said that he had some more in the works. He never mentioned of being paid on them or how long he had to wait. I have no idea the specifics on his commissions which is one reason why i'm here on this board to learn more. I'm not here promoting this yet. I have along way to go before i even try to release it. Oh yeah and you are right it wasn't exactly half the deals were group he said 26 at the time of his report to me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Good thing they all "speak good English"

There are definitely a few telemarketing firms that focus on the insurance industry and do a good job. There are a few that clearly make money and have been around for a long time, so there is definitely room for the business model to work.

However, we see a lot of people fail at this, so be careful. In my opinion, any time you do lead generation, you want to make sure to be in it for the long haul. If you make individual decisions based on your long-term goals, then you will have a better shot at success. If you get a reputation as honest business, with a decent crediting policy and can show a decent ROI then you will make it.

Most of our members are independent agents who work on their own or with just a few people. We have little patience and long memories, so you only get one shot. Your best bet would be to contact middle sized insurance agencies that can afford to buy a lot of leads and give it a long-term shot. Ultimately the model works. If you call x number of people, you get y number at just the right time. It usually gets screwed up by bad business decisions or scaling up too fast.
Yes you are right about Americans being better at cold calling into business than some of the overseas outfits. Also you are right on about lead generation and being in it for the long haul. I have been generating mortgage leads for over 5 years for Brokers all over the country. I have seen a ton of companies come and go and you are exactly right, if you treat people good and give them a good ROI every time then being successful at direct marketing can be very fruitful. It has been for me and this will be a pretty good size expansion for me once im all done.

The more I read your post the more I think you know what the heck your talking about. I plan on putting only 3-4 agents on this project when i start. I don't really want to work with a company that buys a ton of leads and I also don't want a ton of companies to do business for. If i can find about 5-6 agents I would be happy.

What are other companies charging? Who are the big players if any? What kind of marketing budgets do agents give themselves? Does it work like mortgage where there is the Broker and then agents under him or her at a certain percentage? I'm sure thats a vague question but any feedback that i can gather will help me put together something really great.

I have already figured out my cost on the appointments it's just a matter of the ROI that can be generated and also finding the industry standard of my competition.

Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What is the criteria you used to obtain the leads? If I could hire somebody to qualify the appointments like I do I'd be open to paying anywhere from $25- $50 an appointment, but it has to meet my rigid standards. For example, saying "An agent is going to be in your area or Would you like to receive quotes?" is not going to cut it with me......

If you're looking to just generate leads then I'd follow what Chumps said about $5 a lead being a good bench mark. But it all depends on how good your gals are and your script, etc.

If you're looking to actually set appointments for agents I'm not sure you have any competition. I'm unaware of a single telemarketing company that would give me 5 agents as a reference who are currently using appointment-setting services and happy with what they're getting.

I would have a couple questions since you already ran a small test:

1) How many hours of calling did it take you to generate 100 appointments?
2) What script did you use?

Back