Advice Needed on Purchasing a Plan ASAP

Frappa Chino

Expert
Hopefully this is the best place to post this.

In January I purchased a Blue Choice Gold plan on the ACA in Illinois, still in affect. Long story short I've learned the hard way after the fact that BCBS has about 10 different PPO networks in IL alone and that the one I bought into, that advertised itself as a national plan is a complete and total joke with very limited coverage in IL and zero coverage in the 10 other states I've searched in. I don't know how it's even legal for them to advertise it as a national plan.

Now I've moved to Indiana which qualifies as life changing event that allows me to change plans. I travel all the time and desperately need a plan with national coverage in all or nearly all 50 states. Bizarrely, all of the good plans with large national networks listed on healthcare.gov for Indiana disappear as options once filling out the special enrollment application, and all that is left is more bogus policies with very limited networks in Indiana.

I looked online and it appears I can work with United Healthcare directly to claim a life changing event, and they have an incredible network. I'd like to have this done by end of tomorrow so that I can have changed policies by August 1st so time is of the essence.

Can the experts here tell me if there is any reason I should not do that? I was burned so badly with this Blue Choice policy I don't want to make another mistake. I couldn't care less if I purchase on the Exchange, I don't qualify for a subsidy, I just want a great policy with a great national network that has some real hospitals in it.

Do you have any advice?

Thank You

Last edited:
Back