All Insurers Must Now Accept Same-Sex Married Couples?

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
June 26, 2015

Now that the Supreme Court of the USA has ruled that Same-Sex marriages are legal in all 50 states, must Individual and Group health insurance companies/plans honor this ruling when it comes to obtaining coverage?

When Susie marries Jane, does that now generate an ObamaCare Special Enrollment Opportunity for them, and their children, on the Federal and all State Exchanges?

-ac

June 26, 2015

Now that the Supreme Court of the USA has ruled that Same-Sex marriages are legal in all 50 states, must Individual and Group health insurance companies/plans honor this ruling when it comes to obtaining coverage?

When Susie marries Jane, does that now generate an ObamaCare Special Enrollment Opportunity for them, and their children, on the Federal and all State Exchanges?

-ac

This is more of a group than indy issue. Presumably, they already have coverage.

And then its state/carrier specific.

My small groups with UHC and Aetna already cover same sex. BCBS does not. And if you use the same sex when adding someone, it kicks you out of the system.

Good question.. seeing as marriage or divorce are qualifying events would make sense they would be an SEP event. WHEN they will is another question...

This is more of a group than indy issue. Presumably, they already have coverage.

And then its state/carrier specific.

Your statement goes to the root of my 1st question, KGMom...

Now that the Supreme Court has declared that Homo marriage is the same as Hetro marriage, it's illegal for all health insurance companies, in all states, to discriminate against one, in favor of the other. If a company doesn't accept/acknowledge Same-Sex married couples, it can't accept Opposite-Sex married couples either.

That's how I see this Supreme Court decision today and am seeking feedback.

Now that the Supreme Court has declared that Homo marriage is the same as Hetro marriage, it's illegal for all health insurance companies, in all states, to discriminate against one, in favor of the other. If a company doesn't accept/acknowledge Same-Sex married couples, it can't accept Opposite-Sex married couples either.

I am looking it from a practical perspective.

Legally, yes, theres SEPs being created by the thousands in courthouses across America.

Practically. ...

1. I don't expect every carrier, every PBM, hc.gov, etc. nationwide to be able to accept same sex marriages today.
2. Most of them presumably had coverage prior to today.

But... (now that I'm typing this it came to mind)...what about couples who are now subsidy eligible? Or already getting a subsidy? They are required to report marriages to the FFM. They have to file jointly to get a subsidy. So they call in, trigger and 834 file change (if the hc.gov system even allows same sex) then send a change to a carrier whose systems rejects same sex.

This is going to be fun.....

I am looking it from a practical perspective.

<SNIP>
But... (now that I'm typing this it came to mind)...what about couples who are now subsidy eligible? Or already getting a subsidy? They are required to report marriages to the FFM. They have to file jointly to get a subsidy. So they call in, trigger and 834 file change (if the hc.gov system even allows same sex) then send a change to a carrier whose systems rejects same sex.

This is going to be fun.....

And... how long till IRS/CMS catch up? i.e. someone gets married when/how/etc decide on subsidies, past subsidy received and on and on and on...

:twitchy:

Actually it is saying that governments cannot discriminate.. As to whether it means individuals or corporations cannot no discriminate to open for debate..

Will the plans still have to cover birth control? :yes:

There's a good reason for that. Many same sex couples have open marriages and are bi-sexual. That number will increase as the country becomes more like Rome, circa 190 A.D.. Insurance plans have to go with the flow. Emperor Obama has decreed it.

Back