BCBS of Arizona Vs UnitedHealthcare

NovembeRain

30 years old female, 5’4, 115 --- not taking any medications, no prior conditions
I’ve been with BCBS for the last 3 years.

Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred, $250 deductible, $2500 co-insurance, 80/20 (maternity is not included). In 2007 I paid $263 a month ($294 after October, 1). In 2008 I paid $329.

This year in August I received a letter informing me that because I’m turning 30, I’ll be paying $356 and my new rate would be reflected in my 10/01/09 billing. I adjusted the monthly amount my bank automatically sends to BCBS and forgot about it. Two days ago I received a bill and it says $427. I called BCBS and apparently they had a raise for everybody on October 1st – it is not related to me or my age. I asked them to enroll me into $500 deductible, which drops my rate from $427 to $344 and raises my copay from $15/30 to $20/40. Everything else stays the same.

Now I have:
$500 deductible
$2500 out of pocket co-insurance, $20/40 copay
80/20%
No maternity
$344

I never had a chance to test how good BCBS of AZ is at paying high end claims – I never even met my $2500 a year.

I went to UHC website & got a preliminary quote from them. For $298 (2 year rate guarantee) I can get the following Copay Select plan:

$500 deductible
$0 out of pocket co-insurance, $35 copay
100%
No maternity (have to add $109 for that)

I understand that after reviewing my files, the price may slightly change, but even if it goes up to $350, I don’t see a reason why I should stay with BCBS.

Can anybody please tell me which insurance carrier is better in Arizona and if there are any reasons why I should stay with BCBS of AZ. Thanks!

P.S. My doctor accepts both insurances.

If there's an agent here that works the AZ market, and I'm sure there is, you should have them help you. Your medical history will be a factor in switching companies, but if there's no issues as you mentioned, should be an easy process. UHC likes to rider everything, BCBS may just give a rate increase instead of a rider, but that may vary between states. Do you visit the doctor often? If not, why pay $300-400/month for the low deductible co-pay plan? A high-deductible (let's say $2500-3000 for yourself) HSA with 100% paid after deductible would probably cost you $75-125/month.

Can anybody please tell me which insurance carrier is better in Arizona and if there are any reasons why I should stay with BCBS of AZ. Thanks!

P.S. My doctor accepts both insurances.

Generally, I'd side with GoldenRule / UHC over BCBS of AZ any day. However it all depends on what part of the state you're in.

There are a few other options that might be worth checking out as well. Let me know if you'd like me to get you in touch with someone local.

Thanks

Ryan

Back