Blue Cross Blue Shield Frustration

ameneses54

Guru
100+ Post Club
I still cant figure out how BBS can offer such incredible rates on their policies.
First of all they have about 80 or more varieties and feature to feature no other company can match their prices.
I'm running constantly into getting beaten by BCBS, and I can't say a word about a company with such a good name and bottom rock prices.
Worst of all you can't sell their policies if your not "captive"---- and "captive"is what I feel every time a customer says he decided to go with them.
Ps
I think I'm a whiner
Any comments?:SLEEP:

You don't have to be captive to sell BC/BS, but you may have to have your business go through a general agent. BC/BS (at least here) will not contract directly with an agent. Rates also vary widely across the country. In Virginia, Anthem BC/BS has some of the best rates around. In another part of Virginia, Carefirst BC/BS has some of the worst rates you could possibly find.

BX is not universally competitive, nor do they only market thru captive agents (except maybe in a few states). Which state are you in?

Maybe you just don't have the right products in your bag. Do you have a vast array of companies you can write with?

Almost all plans have their negatives... rx limits, pre-ex wait, hmo, etc... Find out what they are and use them to start a conversation on alteratives. Again, what state?

BCBS of Florida is very hard to beat, even when you have every other company in your bag. Its just silly how cheap thier HSA plans are. The only negative about them, is that they are VERY VERY tight on underwriting.

silly how cheap thier HSA plans are. The only negative about them, is that they are VERY VERY tight on underwriting.

Then are they competitive or not?

This is a game carriers play. Teaser rates that end up being middle of the road or worse once you go through underwriting. Coventry does it here. Very competitive print rates but try getting anything through underwriting at anything near that quote.

Looks good on a spread sheet but so what?

Then are they competitive or not?

This is a game carriers play. Teaser rates that end up being middle of the road or worse once you go through underwriting. Coventry does it here. Very competitive print rates but try getting anything through underwriting at anything near that quote.

Looks good on a spread sheet but so what?

Yes, that was my point. If a prospect is in great health with no issues, than BCBS is very tough to beat. However, if you are talking with a prospect who has some issues, you have a shot. You just need to make them aware of how difficult they can be in underwriting.

If you are using the approach of saving people money on their health insurance, and they already have BCBS of Florida, good luck. Thats a tough one. Perfect example, talked to a 50 year old woman last week. Has a BCBS HSA with a 3k deductible, only $186 a month. Ran som quotes, 50 year old women with Coventry 5k ded. HSA, $207 a month. Cigna, 3k ded. HSA $225 a month.

I still cant figure out how BBS can offer such incredible rates on their policies.
First of all they have about 80 or more varieties and feature to feature no other company can match their prices.
I'm running constantly into getting beaten by BCBS, and I can't say a word about a company with such a good name and bottom rock prices.

I don't know who you are contracted with but American Republic and Madison National 360 blow them away up to the age 52+. World runs neck and neck with them for the 52+ age category.

I don't know who you are contracted with but American Republic and Madison National 360 blow them away up to the age 52+. World runs neck and neck with them for the 52+ age category.
I find that the name recognition makes BCBS tough to beat. Even if I could find a cost competitive carrier, unless they have a familiar name it would be a tough sell. I generally compare BCBS plans to other carriers with good name recognition like Humana and UHC that way the prospect knows that BCBS is the best value.

Back