Chasing clients down for requirements

M

Macdaddy

I have a few clients that I have had to follow up on like crazy to get additional required information into underwriting after an underwriting interview.

How hard and heavy should I follow up on these folks before I say enough.......and PUNT.

I have one guy that is a trucker that I have called and left 6 messages for to get an ICD-9 code from his local urgent care for a recent shoulder injury. I am about done fooling with him. It ties up a lot of time and energy when they seem to be the ones lacking the motivation to get it done.

Another question, is this just characteristic of internet leads or of all individual health clients?

All clients are like that but perhaps a bit so with internet leads. They expect a quick answer. If they have to do anything beyond filling in the application they quickly lose interest and will either move on to someone who promises them an easy time or stay put.

After 3 calls I give up. I don't have time to chase them down when someone else is needing my help.

Is it possible that he has no idea what you are asking for and doesn't want to bother asking you to explain it? Would he have a clue what a ICD-9 code is? Much less, where to get it from?

I run into this all the time, people ask me for things that they use as common terms, that I don't even begin to understand. If it's a voicemail message, something I don't understand will get put on the bottom of the pile vs something I can take care of easily.

And yes, all clients drag their feet on getting this stuff done.

Dan

The trucker definitely knows that he needs to call the urgent care to get his injury code. I even had to call him and conference him in with underwriting for his interview....so I was on the call and went over it with him afterwards.

Doing health is a new business for me, but sales isn't. It has just been a while(about 10 years) since I dealt with putzes.

I think I will take Somarco's advice and spend little time with them. If they don't care, why should I? These are probably the types that don't see the real value of health insurance and are lapses waiting to happen anyway.

called and left 6 messages for to get an ICD-9 code from his local urgent care for a recent shoulder injury

You need to write a different carrier if you carrier is asking YOUR client or AGENT to obtain a ICD 9 code - this is out of line

You need to write a different carrier if you carrier is asking YOUR client or AGENT to obtain a ICD 9 code - this is out of line

I concur, even Aetna uses a third party company MGA to do all the work for me. And wow are they ever on it; some are kinda rude and pushy but they get the job down within a week.

Oh yeah, can I ever relate. Underwriters take too long, customers either drag their feet or get frustrated, and I do alot of babysitting of apps. Nature of the beast I guess.

I had two customers this week that canceled because they were "offended" by the questions asked in the telephone interview. One said they applied with another carrier already (the other carrier uses the same phone interview company and will ask the SAME questions - but they didn't care) and the other client said "they will never take us anyhow" so they canceled before even getting a decision.

Anytime these so called "issues" come up I speak very professional and rational to the clients - but 90% cancel anyhow, it is like I am talking to a brick wall at times.

Back