Child Only

Bobby

Expert
I know this might have been discussed before but can you still get child only policy if parents have health thru work.

What makes you say that STI? I have 3 carriers that I can write child only policies. Bobby where is the potential client located?

Special Enrollment Periods
Do one of these Life Events apply to you?

I gained a dependent due to marriage
I gained a dependent due to birth, adoption, or placement for adoption
I am no longer eligible as a dependent under my prior health insurance due to reaching the maximum age, legal separation, divorce or death of policyholder
I am no longer eligible for my prior health insurance plan due to termination of employment, reduction in number of hours of employment, loss of employer contribution toward my premiums, or I have exhausted my COBRA benefits
I gained access to new health insurance options because of a permanent move
I am newly ineligible for payments of the advance premium tax credit
I am no longer residing or living in my prior health insurance plan's HMO service area
An error occurred in my previous health plan enrollment
I have adequately demonstrated that my previous health plan or insurer substantially violated a material provision of its contract with me
I and/or my dependent(s) lost minimum essential coverage (Due to reasons other than non-payment of premium or rescission)
Other qualifying event (as required by applicable laws)

https://retailweb.hcsc.net/retailshoppingcart/TX/census?ExpressLinkedAgentId=4691

Two different issues addressed here.

Can parents purchase a child only plan?

Yes, they can.

Is an SEP in place?

Unclear based on what has been posted so far.

Special Enrollment Periods
Do one of these Life Events apply to you?

I gained a dependent due to marriage
I gained a dependent due to birth, adoption, or placement for adoption
I am no longer eligible as a dependent under my prior health insurance due to reaching the maximum age, legal separation, divorce or death of policyholder
I am no longer eligible for my prior health insurance plan due to termination of employment, reduction in number of hours of employment, loss of employer contribution toward my premiums, or I have exhausted my COBRA benefits
I gained access to new health insurance options because of a permanent move
I am newly ineligible for payments of the advance premium tax credit
I am no longer residing or living in my prior health insurance plan's HMO service area
An error occurred in my previous health plan enrollment
I have adequately demonstrated that my previous health plan or insurer substantially violated a material provision of its contract with me
I and/or my dependent(s) lost minimum essential coverage (Due to reasons other than non-payment of premium or rescission)
Other qualifying event (as required by applicable laws)

https://retailweb.hcsc.net/retailshoppingcart/TX/census?ExpressLinkedAgentId=4691

Original question: I know this might have been discussed before but can you still get child only policy if parents have health thru work.

Short answer is yes. Long answer is unless a QLE has occurred then the policy would have to wait till OE at which point a child only policy can still be written....I wouldn't suggest it due to the costs associated as a parents plan will generally be cheaper...however it can still be done.

QLE is required

Off exchange is the best and easiest if QLE exists.

Adding child on to a group plan is more expensive than Off exch child only plan in 90% of the situations.

Adding child onto a Pre-ACA plan is a possibility now, with no QLE, but depends on carrier, and will be the cheapest method.

More info is needed

I've got a 19 year old employee whose parents do not work, and do not have coverage. Because he is under 26 and uninsured outside of an open enrollment there were limited options available.

I'm in Ohio. My broker put him on a 6 month 'transition' plan with Golden Rule so that he can qualify for for his own individual plan next enrollment. It's super cheap ($600 for 6 months) but it has a very high ded. I do think it covers one well visit though.

Good Luck!

Back