Christian Health Ministries

might as well be a limited benefit plan.

Not exactly.

For starters, each plan is different. Some use a network (such as Multiplan) while others attempt to negotiate fees after the fact.

These operate more like a plan with a very tiny network where you can be balance billed for almost anything.

FWIW, I am not a fan of these plans but I believe the danger is much more sinister than your post indicates.

As KG indicated, they are not insurance. Try scheduling an expensive, elective procedure with a provider when there is absolutely no guarantee they will be paid.

These policies just make me angry.

Its not a scam, but its also not insuring anything with regards to a life threatening illness. Then, when they actually need insurance, they will come onto the individual pool and make more expensive for the people who were on to begin with.

Hope none of them need chemo. I looked a guy at one of my groups who decided to do this instead of the group plan and told him he was nuts. These are not insurance. Its putting your families lives at risk

Did you give him any facts or just fear monger?

Did you give him any facts or just fear monger?

I'm just a fear monger. ;)

Actually, I have called a hospital in Dallas and asked them how they would handle a child who had cancer and needed chemo, no surgery. Told them I was thinking of buying a policy. They told me it would depend on several factors, but they do not take the policy as insurance and I would need to either apply for Medicaid (good luck in a non-expansion state) or make a deposit prior to treatment. Depending on the type and duration, the deposit would be between $10K and $50K.

What I actually do when confronted with this (and it happens about once a week) is say, "I totally understand your frustration with Obamacare and the cost. My only request is that you contact your hospital of choice for a critical illness and ask how they would handle the billing and payment prior to signing up with the plan."

I've sold these people a policy 99% of the time.

Good evening,

I hope everyone a great day :) I would like to know if any of you are familiar with HealthMarkets Insurance Agency. I am located in florida and I am interested in health insurance. I currently sell life insurance but I would also like to learn about the health industry as well. Any thoughts all would be greatly appreicated.

Good evening,

I hope everyone a great day :) I would like to know if any of you are familiar with HealthMarkets Insurance Agency. I am located in florida and I am interested in health insurance. I currently sell life insurance but I would also like to learn about the health industry as well. Any thoughts all would be greatly appreicated.

If this is the company.. Run!

HealthMarkets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI...Here's a fairly detailed chart that compares Christian Care Ministry (Medi-Share) against Samaritan Ministries.

Link: http://www.cchfreedom.org/files/files/Health_Care_Sharing_Ministry_Comparison.pdf

Not having to comply with the Affordable Care Act gives these Sharing Ministries a lot more latitude when it comes to paying medical bills. But common sense says that "payer latitude" is not something the patient wants, or needs, when many thousands of dollars is owed to medical providers. What the patient needs is the peace-of-mind that comes from being certain that the bills will be paid. The Affordable Care Act makes that certainty even more concrete than it was before the ACA became law.

I'm just a fear monger. ;)

Actually, I have called a hospital in Dallas and asked them how they would handle a child who had cancer and needed chemo, no surgery. Told them I was thinking of buying a policy. They told me it would depend on several factors, but they do not take the policy as insurance and I would need to either apply for Medicaid (good luck in a non-expansion state) or make a deposit prior to treatment. Depending on the type and duration, the deposit would be between $10K and $50K.

What I actually do when confronted with this (and it happens about once a week) is say, "I totally understand your frustration with Obamacare and the cost. My only request is that you contact your hospital of choice for a critical illness and ask how they would handle the billing and payment prior to signing up with the plan."

I've sold these people a policy 99% of the time.

Well I would think that somebody going with a ministry plan would be a great opportunity to sell a critical illness policy.

Yeah my pastor is thinking about going on one of these plans. He could qualify for free healthcare if he wanted to, but won't for personal convictions.

If he did go one one of these plans, what indemnity and CI plans would be useful?

Back