Is this Correct ACA & UHC/Grule STM

junkman

Guru
100+ Post Club
Husband, wife & 1 dependent in TN. Probably off exchange with no group coverage available.

Can family members still have separate ACA plans? In this case, Wife/child with husband separate.

What is the premium paying grace period for the INITIAL premium On or OffEx in 2017?

My understanding is that the ACA penalty for no coverage isn't incurred when the lowest premium plan of healthcare.gov is more than 8.5% of MAGI. Is this correct?

Can anyone that is enrolled and pays the HDHP premium for January fund an HSA for the entire year even if the HDHP terms 2/1?

I'm considering UHC's STM. The premium is so much lower than any ACA plan that is doesn't make sense to do differently for those expecting low claims in 2017.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the ACA penalty for no coverage isn't incurred when the lowest premium plan of healthcare.gov is more than 8.5% of MAGI. Is this correct?
More than 8.16% MAGI for 2017.

Can anyone that is enrolled and pays the HDHP premium for January fund an HSA for the entire year even if the HDHP terms 2/1?
You can only make a pro-rated HSA contribution in this scenario.

Issues that Impact Contribution Amounts.
B. Less Than Full Year Eligibility –Not Eligible on December 1. If you are not eligible for the HSA in all months of the year and are not eligible on December 1, a different rule applies. You must apply the Sum of the Months rule to determine the maximum amount of your HSA contribution. The Sum of the Months calculation requires you to determine your eligibility month-by-month and only contribute a pro-rata amount of the maximum federal HSA limit.

Reference:
https://www.hsaresources.com/pdf/HSA_Resources_Eligibility_Contribution_Worksheet.pdf

Back