Enough Healthy To Cover Medical Expenses.. 2014 and Beyond?

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
The American Heart Association says that the average cost of Heart Bypass surgery in America during the year 2011 was $117,000 dollars. (Cancer treatment is even more expensive over a 1 or 2 year period.)

Ref: Cost of Heart Bypass Surgery - Consumer Information and Prices Paid - CostHelper.com

You need (approx) 585 claim-free people to pay a $200 premium that month to offset the $117,000 charge.

I don't think enough younger/healthy people will purchase health insurance in 2014 to offset the huge costs of caring for the influx of less healthy enrollees. Are there enough healthy people in the entire country to offset medical expenses, when health insurance without exclusion riders is guaranteed to every U.S. citizen?

How will insurers calculate what their premium must be on the Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum plans? How can they do this without knowing how many new enrollees will come their way through the exchange?

Is it insanity for the smaller health insurers to stick around and fight for customers with premium rates that are lower than the "big boys", in order to attract more customers via the exchanges?

It's looking more and more as if the Affordable Care Act was designed to destroy the private health insurance market, while raising revenue for Uncle Sam (gobs of new taxes, penalties) to come to the rescue with "Medicare for All" coverage.
-AC

Last edited:
It's looking more and more as if the Affordable Care Act was designed to destroy the private health insurance market,

Just now figuring that out?

Why do you think I refer to it as Obamacrap and the Un-Affordable Care Act?

The law is a disaster. Not just for agents and health insurance employees but for everyone.

Health insurance available to everyone without restriction . . . other than cost.

Fewer docs that will accept health insurance. More going to cash only.

Longer waits. More difficult to schedule service. Higher prices, not lower.

Massive layoffs by health insurance companies.

Less premium tax revenue to states.

Fewer consumer choices, higher prices, more IRS intrusion.

Fewer employers offering health insurance. Fewer full time employees, more part time employees

Less OOP on claims, significantly more OOP on premiums.

Change you can believe in.

Just now figuring that out?

Why do you think I refer to it as Obamacrap and the Un-Affordable Care Act?

The law is a disaster. Not just for agents and health insurance employees but for everyone.

Somarco, I'm just now TRULY BELIEVING that the Affordable Care Act really is designed to destroy private insurance and replace it with Medicare For All, or something similar.

It was hard (for me) to believe that an American President would intentionally destroy an entire sector of American business.

After reading documentation provided by Anne, yourself and other forum members, I now understand that destruction of the Private Health Insurance industry is being accomplished using a sinister, complicated approach..much like the traps in old cartoons, where it took 12 steps (mouse pulls cheese, which causes a marble to roll into a cup on a scale, which makes the scale tip, which causes the ...) just to light the cannon that will demolish private health insurance.

Guess I was in denial..until now.
-ac

I now understand that destruction of the Private Health Insurance industry is being accomplished using a sinister, complicated approach..much like the traps in old cartoons, where it took 12 steps (mouse pulls cheese, which causes a marble to roll into a cup on a scale, which makes the scale tip, which causes the ...) just to light the cannon that will demolish private health insurance.

Another scenario came from Austin powers: Private health insurance is slowly being lowered into a pool with ill tempered sea bass(Obama wanted sharks with freakin laser beams attached to their heads, but Pelosi screwed it up).

Latest posts

Back