Final Ruling: 90 Day Limit for STM

That is useful. Thank you. Numbers for 1 scenario: Pay $20,000 for HDHP with $6400 OOP vs ~$3,500 for crappy benefits of STM.

The next question becomes "are there any other STM besides UHC with less holes in coverage".
What do you see as big holes?

Who is everyone selling for Short Term other than UHC? Does anyone have experience with National General or Meritain Health?

What do you see as big holes?

Holes only count when sick but $3,000 in RX can be quickly spent. Some people have pre-ex that they think is gone because of the 2 year look back but technically could be excluded from coverage because they went or were supposed to go for a follow up consultation. Deductible is per-cause and not capped. I have to go look again at the out-of-pocket limits.

You'd also have to ride a grace period of an ACA plan for the 1st 5 days of the year. I don't have a problem with that. The UHC STM can be written 60 days ahead of time and be in place when the other terms. I don't see in writing whether the person would have to be able to pass underwriting on the day of if the policy were already approved.

Deductible is per-cause and not capped. I have to go look again at the out-of-pocket limits.

Not what my FMO says regarding UHC and NG, cumulative for the year.

Deductible is per-cause and not capped. I have to go look again at the out-of-pocket limits.

Not what my FMO says regarding UHC and NG, cumulative for the year.

I'm just going by the brochure and am pretty sure that is says "per cause, per term". Let me know if you can get a cert. I also want to get a better handle on limitations and exclusions.

The $5,000 sup accident would help several I know because we all ride bicycles and bouncing off the road or a car hurts and can be expensive. Brains cost more to fix than our fancy schmancy bikes.

Why not consider a hospital indemnity plan (HIP)?

HIP plans are permanent and could cover pre-ex after 12 months.

Layered with proper supplements (CI, Accident, etc.) the whole package is still much less than a subsidized ACA plan and provides lump sum cash benefits for the customer to use as they see fit.

Not to mention the greater access to providers since these are indemnity plans and not tied to any particular network.

And, comp is good too!

Why not consider a hospital indemnity plan (HIP)?

HIP plans are permanent and could cover pre-ex after 12 months.

Layered with proper supplements (CI, Accident, etc.) the whole package is still much less than a subsidized ACA plan and provides lump sum cash benefits for the customer to use as they see fit.

Not to mention the greater access to providers since these are indemnity plans and not tied to any particular network.

And, comp is good too!

1) I'm shopping for me, my family and long term clients and friends. We can afford premium but don't want to. ACA rates are over the top.

2) I have never seen a plan that was worth the paper it is written on except to the agent writing it.

3) "Good Comp" as in high commission plan means fewer dollars to pay claims which means lower claims are mandatory which means that there are holes in this case GAPING holes in the coverage.

4) "Permanent" health policies is a worthless concept in today's world. Too much is in flux. We only need to get through 2017 then go through the process again in 2018.

A few years ago, a big deal was made about being sure to Grandfather any plan that was eligible. I said that it was much ado about nothing because those plans would become price prohibitive and people would switch to non-Grandfathered HDHP. They have and they have.

I took a quick look at Natl General STM. There are more holes there than with UHC - and rates were horrible, almost as bad as ACA HDHP rates.

Last edited:
Junkman: Please get nitty gritty, how can you specifically say this? Natl General STM. There are more holes there than with UHC
Not trying to be critical, we all know ST policies have holes. Is the UHC short term really superior?

Im looking at ST for myself potentially in 2017 so lets keep the discussion going.

Junkman: Please get nitty gritty, how can you specifically say this? Natl General STM. There are more holes there than with UHC
Not trying to be critical, we all know ST policies have holes. Is the UHC short term really superior?

Im looking at ST for myself potentially in 2017 so lets keep the discussion going.

I don't remember the exact details but looked and the difference was apparent. Go look at the Natl General published information for your state. I don't have a link but it was on the Ntl Gen site. If you're licensed with them, more info should be available. You need the term to match your need. You can ride the ACA for 30 of 31 days in January and UHC can be written to cover the remaining days.

I'm looking for something that will limit the upward limit of my liability and be what I consider "worth it". "Worth it" is very subjective and emotional.
We can't pass underwriting but are probably in better shape than 95% of the people walking around.

Last edited:
December 9, 2016

Just a hunch, but I bet a 20 Year Term Life has a better chance of paying out than a 1 year, $2,500 deductible STM policy.

It's simultaneously AMAZING and DISGUSTING how frequently companies are increasing the premium on Short Term Medical plans.

I just ran a quote for one of the few really GOOD ones. If I requested a 12/31/2016 effective date, the premium is $479 a month. Change the requested effective date to 1/1/2017 and the premium zips up to $526!

But, since $526 for a $2,500 deductible, for a healthy 64 year old, she would take it. But, since I'm a compassionate agent who puts his clients first, she'll get a 12/31/2016 effective date.

One other thing. Based on what I'm reading the U.S. Senate will get rid of the Individual Mandate, effective 3.28.2017...or whatever date will keep Americans for having to pay that stupid penalty for not having REAL or ANY health insurance in 2017.

What does this mean for STM's? More than likely, there will be no IRS tax penalty for having an STM for 2017. Most STM people have never paid it anyway.

Back