Floridablue Captive Only 2015? Under 65

hiswill1133

Expert
I write for all the major carriers, but I write 80% or more of my business with Floridablue. I know when everything was medically underwritten that there was the "right of refusal" which I have heard interpreted differently among those I have asked. But all agreeing that Floridablue got the first crack at a client. We use to get mystery shoppers, and warning all the time.

Now I am trying to separate from my current Agency Owner but continue to write for all the carriers including Floridablue. I only want to write Floridablue through his agency and go direct with all the other carriers. However the owner is now telling me that you can only write for Floridablue. It is completely captive. My problem is I have never heard that from Floridablue nor have I seen that in writing. Does anyone know FOR SURE if you write Floridablue under 65 if it is captive?

They are captive, i.e. for an agent to be contracted with them they do not allow any other carriers and they do check quite often to verify. Get caught and agents say they will cancel your contract and stop paying commissions...

I know it's always been that if you write FB you are 100% captive and if you signed any contract it is in the wording. Yes, underwriting days if someone was declined (not rated) you could write another company and that is the only time. FB has been captive for at least the almost 20 years I've represented them. BTW they still secret shop you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Why would you ONLY want to write FL Blue? If you're gonna make a change, break free and move on and try to be true broker for your client, and start building your own book of business, and not some GA's book.

Why would you ONLY want to write FL Blue? If you're gonna make a change, break free and move on and try to be true broker for your client, and start building your own book of business, and not some GA's book.

Question, I am suppose to speak with the agency owner tonight, and I have a feeling this is going to go south real quick. When I spoke with some of the other carriers they said, that I needed the owner to write me an email or letter saying he releases me from commissions being assigned to the agency.

What if he does not write the letter? Then I am really screwed. Has anyone else here broke free of an agency and went independent ?

Question, I am suppose to speak with the agency owner tonight, and I have a feeling this is going to go south real quick. When I spoke with some of the other carriers they said, that I needed the owner to write me an email or letter saying he releases me from commissions being assigned to the agency.

What if he does not write the letter? Then I am really screwed. Has anyone else here broke free of an agency and went independent ?

Most of these guys are independents.

So I reread this, am I reading this wrong or is your owner also placing with other company's? If so it shouldn't be hard to get a release if point out a few things to him/her.

----------

Good job, I see you took my suggestion.

Last edited:
OP, I would edit your original post and remove your signature, lest FL Blue snitches cancel your appointment.

Back