GeoBlue International Travel

They settled a $75,000 USD claim for $50,000 on our expat client in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. 5 days in-patient. She was age 69 with medicare. She had pre-ex

I've had good experiences with them. No production requirements, so I have it for those few cases where it comes in useful.

Contacted by Direct Benefits. Pays 15% for intnl travel. Product is filed by state as health product (vs surplus lines). Here is the run down they gave when I asked for more info.

I have used IMG for years and never had any problems. This guy likes to beat the drum on how surplus lines products are inferior (in his opinion).

1. Admitted vs. Non-admitted:

a. GeoBlue’s products (filed as HTH in Washington) go through every state DOI for specific authorizations and operate off a certificate of authority to be licensed. IMG does not do this – they operate off a surplus lines vendorship, thus it isn’t exactly a health contract and is not regulated by state health laws. There are many risks in which the surplus lines market is needed (aviation, ocean/marine, for example), however I strongly believe the admitted market is more appropriate for highly regulated health products.

b. Non-admitted products are rife with exclusions and limitations such as pre-existing conditions. GeoBlue fully covers pre-ex on our short term products with a primary plan and even Medicare for our multi-trip plans, despite the fact that one cannot subrogate against it.

2. Network:

a. GeoBlue’s network is homegrown (formerly HTH Worldwide) and is not licensed from any carrier. Our physicians are highly qualified and were trained in the US or Europe.

b. We have a success rate of arranging direct billing in over 80% of our cases / IMG has more of a pay/claim scenario with its clients.

c. GeoBlue has the best contracts with air ambulance carriers to get our members out of harm’s way quicker than anyone in the business

3. Mobile Technology:

a. The GeoBlue mobile application utilizes the highest of technologies to help members navigate international healthcare. From the click of a button you can obtain appointments with in-network doctors, obtain security profiles, research doctors and hospitals and much, much more. I do not believe IMG has something like this to compare.

4. The Blue Brand:

a. As you know, 1/3 Americans have Blue Cross or Shield (or both) in their wallet and thus we pride ourselves on giving our expatriate members access to the best network in the country with the best discounts.

5. Rates:

a. You will notice in the attachment to this email that GeoBlue’s rates are similar to IMG despite the ancillary benefits of having our product.

For GeoBlue Voyager/Trekker the choice care version is the only one that covers emergency events involving pre-ex if they maintain usa health insurance or medicare in usa. Seems like the essential care does not cover pre- ex.
GeoBlue Trekker choice plan is ideal for those that want to take up to 70 day trips outside United States and have hypertension or some other chronic ailment. For
Inbound people to the USA this is not for them....
IMG possibly for inbound non-us citizens.
IMG now allows WW search of foreign providers from their website ...previously was difficult

Last edited:
I write maybe 3 intnl travel plans a year. Mostly on clients who want to travel out of the country for 3 - 4 weeks. US citizens on Medicare.

The Trekker plan is a great value.
Annually the client will get a notice to renew and you'll get another commission. for somebody that takes even one trip outside United States for less than 70 days this is a great value.
So many people take two or three trips outside the USA so they just buy this once a year. I believe it covers up to age 84 years old.

Back