Health Insurance Agents Bailout

starproducer

Expert
I use to be on this Forum a few years back and it seems that there was alot more activity with much more volume of post. It has died down dramatically it seems with only a handful of posters since after ACA. Must be good news for us who have decided to stick around for OEP for MM. Less competition . Seem like the agents that bailed went into selling Med Supp Plans and MAPD and never turned back. just my observation

Your competition was never other agents, unless you are really weak. To some extent eHealth was competition only because of visibility on the web.

Your competition now are the govt funded navigators and enrollment assister's that can and will say anything to sign up a warm body.

Actually the navigators make us look good because they are limited in their expertise vs agents. Similar to medicare. Seniors or anyone would much rather have an agent help them than a government worker. Bring On the navigators!! make me look sooo good.

I saw the same "culling of the herd" back when Hillarycare almost came around which then prompted small group health reform here in Texas. What I predicted, and it came true, was that there were different groups:

1. The carriers who were typically small, had crappy plans, unrated and would not adapt and would fade away. They did...

2. The agents who were not serious about adapting, getting knowledge about the changes, plans, etc. who up to that point did not care what they sold went away to a great extent.

3. The companies and agents who did adapt would get a larger piece of the pie.

Star, in case you haven't noticed, navigators make $hit up on the fly. They can "approve" a QLE that doesn't exist if you follow the law. They can also see your subsidy and raise it $200 making you look like the fool.

It's not a level playing field when one of your prospects calls 1-800-OBAMACARE and get's a better deal.

I have no fault in your premise that (many) agents are more knowledgeable than most navigators, but consumers view this like shopping for cars. Whoever offers them the best deal get's their business.

I like what Kenny@ACAExpress wrote, and I agree. I would also say posts have died down because the learning curve is over. We have a year of history with the new landscape now and there is less reason to read voraciously in order to keep your head above water. Posts always die down when Open Enrollment comes, too, because everyone is too busy. If you didn't learn it before then, it's too late.

Back