The Health Insurance Compensation Landscape

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
February 4, 2016

This article gives a broad picture of 2016 Individual Health Insurance Compensation, and how the targeted commission cuts are violating rules of the Affordable Care Act law.

Ref: Licking Wounds, Insurers Accelerate Moves To Limit Health-Law Enrollment | Kaiser Health News

So far...only KAISER and HCSC have not violated the Affordable Care Act's prohibition against coercing consumers into not purchasing a plan, or steering them to plans with higher Out-of-Pocket costs.

""Of the top seven health insurers, only Kaiser Permanente and Health Care Service Corp., which owns Blues plans in Illinois, Texas and elsewhere, haven’t changed commissions recently for gold plans or special enrollment, brokers say.

“Kaiser Permanente won’t be making any broker commission changes,” said spokeswoman Amy Packard Ferro. “It’s business as normal but we are always evaluating our commission structure,” said HCSC spokesman Greg Thompson.""

-AC

Carriers need to submit rates in April (with or without commissions).
The only ones that can save us now are the democrats.
See, it wouldn't be a great thing to take away their agent on Nov 1st.........
5 days before the prez election.
Somebody needs to knock on Dem doors, in turn will knock on CMS doors, to implement MAPD commission system before next OEP, and really needs to happen before April.

Up to 1/3 of Marketplace apps use a broker

Somebody needs to knock on Dem doors, in turn will knock on CMS doors, to implement MAPD commission system before next OEP, and really needs to happen before April.

I'm not sure how the Dems will save us - they don't care. Make this whole thing a big mess & people decide single payer is best. The public is worn out with all of this - I know my clients feel angry that they have to "shop" for insurance every year now during the holidays - which are stressful enough for most people. Between the actual activity and the pricing, they are simply worn out . . . .

And I'd venture to guess an even larger percentage use a broker for off-exchange.

And I'd venture to guess an even larger percentage use a broker for off-exchange.

Yes - and I would also say that my "off exchange" people, are people who ALWAYS had insurance previously - so they typically are not high risk. They are business owners & entrepreneurs in their 40s, 50s and 60s who do not qualify for subsidy money and are now being screwed with astronomical rates . . . .

Last edited:
Empire Blue Cross of New York is notifying agents of an April 1st commission cut, but it doesn't look bad at all, compared to all the others.

Ref: Empire BCBS cuts broker commissions

Oscar did a 50% cut, but I don't think very many agents knew.. or cared.

Ref: Oscar Health cuts commissions amid turmoil in health insurance market

Oscar must have really screwed up if slashing their 23 agents commissions' will save a meaningful amount of money!
:goofy:

But but but Oscar is valued at $1.5 Billion, but but Oscar was going to be the "Uber of Heath Insurance" but but Oscar was founded by Ivy League techies (aka Candy A$$es)........How can this be???

Oh did I mention they have a smart phone app too.

0% just will not cut it!

The regulators in Connecticut must have read your post, MudHound. They've just ordered United Healthcare to restore commission payments to agents in that state.

Story: State says UnitedHealthcare can’t ax broker commissions | The CT Mirror

If Connecticut can do this, why can't the other states? Where are the Agent Advocacy groups like AHIP, NAHU, etc..? Maybe their health insurance agent membership is so low, they don't give a crap.

Back