HSA: Assurant vs. Golden Rule

I have more information on the prospect I mentioned in my first post. As I previously stated, he is 42 years old and single. He chews tobacco so that puts him in the smoker category. He is a self-employed carpenter and currently has Aetna Open Panel HMO 10 for which he pays a premium of $339 a month. I understand that Aetna will be raising their HMO rates in SE PA on 10/01/2007.

Healthwise he is in good condition. His father died from colon cancer five years ago. At that time the family doctor insisted that he have a colonoscopy. Apparently they found a couple of polyps that were removed. They turned out to be noncancerous. It is time for him to have another colonoscopy inasmuch as 5 years have passed since his last exam. In the interim, his doctor visits have consisted of routine annual physicals.

I ran some rates on GR using Preferred Smoker. For the $1,100 deductible on the HSA 100 the premium is $253.84. Standard I Smoker is $302.66 for the HSA 100. The Copay Select Standard I Tobacco is $357.47 for $500 deductible and $268.10 for $1,000 deductible----copay is 80/20 to $10,000. Plan 100 with $1,500 deductible and Rx upgrade (eliminate cap) is $261.47. I ran some figures for Assurant and their premiums appear to be much higher,e.g., One Deductible at $1,100, 80/20 of 10K is $477.85 The Save Right PPO with $2,200 deductible and $3,00 OOP max w/ Rx is $185.50. I don't believe this prospect is sophisticated enough to buy into the HSA as far as funding it goes.

I feel like a neophyte because I haven't been in the individual health market for a number of years. My last experience was with NASE and I swore off individual health after that experience. So any suugestions will be sincerely appreciated.

BTW, the zip code is 19095 and he is spending $4,068 in premium annually with Aetna. The copays are low---$10 Dr. office visit.

I have more information on the prospect I mentioned in my first post. As I previously stated, he is 42 years old and single. He chews tobacco so that puts him in the smoker category. He is a self-employed carpenter and currently has Aetna Open Panel HMO 10 for which he pays a premium of $339 a month. I understand that Aetna will be raising their HMO rates in SE PA on 10/01/2007.

Healthwise he is in good condition. His father died from colon cancer five years ago. At that time the family doctor insisted that he have a colonoscopy. Apparently they found a couple of polyps that were removed. They turned out to be noncancerous. It is time for him to have another colonoscopy inasmuch as 5 years have passed since his last exam. In the interim, his doctor visits have consisted of routine annual physicals.

I ran some rates on GR using Preferred Smoker. For the $1,100 deductible on the HSA 100 the premium is $253.84. Standard I Smoker is $302.66 for the HSA 100. The Copay Select Standard I Tobacco is $357.47 for $500 deductible and $268.10 for $1,000 deductible----copay is 80/20 to $10,000. Plan 100 with $1,500 deductible and Rx upgrade (eliminate cap) is $261.47. I ran some figures for Assurant and their premiums appear to be much higher,e.g., One Deductible at $1,100, 80/20 of 10K is $477.85 The Save Right PPO with $2,200 deductible and $3,00 OOP max w/ Rx is $185.50. I don't believe this prospect is sophisticated enough to buy into the HSA as far as funding it goes.

I feel like a neophyte because I haven't been in the individual health market for a number of years. My last experience was with NASE and I swore off individual health after that experience. So any suugestions will be sincerely appreciated.

BTW, the zip code is 19095 and he is spending $4,068 in premium annually with Aetna. The copays are low---$10 Dr. office visit.

My advice for this guy would be to stay put.

For a smoker in that zip code the AMS std premium is 334.05 for an HSA w/1500 ded and 100 coinsurance.

You could check with Independence BC also. I don't have access to their rates. You can get them from the wholesale brokerage emersonreid.com.

The polyps are going to be a BIG problem with everyone, plus no one will UW till he has another colonoscopy. He should stay put or ask for a higher deductible.

GR pulled out of GA about 2 yrs ago, then came back.

Same for AMS except they are gone again.

Imerica left and I hear they are back.

Aetna got out of the individual business for 20 years and now they are back.

And let's not forget Time that begat Fortis that begat Assurant that begat Time.

It happens.

Assurant, for too many reasons to list, is far superior than GR.

Can you tell me what they are. I Think Assurant is pricy in comparison to Gr here in Az and the benefits are very close. But lately have been put off by the speed of Gr underwriting.
Help me out here.

Pull out an Assurant policy (not brochure) and read it cover to cover. Then pull out an GR policy and read it cover to cover. Note the differences. If you as an agent don't feel like actually reading the comparing the policies you sell then I cannot be of any assistance. I'm actually stunned at the number of agents who have never read the policies they sell.

Back