How to Interact with Someone that Doesn't Want an Appointment?

LifeWorth

Guru
100+ Post Club
My carrier often sends live transfers to my office. Sometimes the people calling are shopping around for coverage and only want a few questions answered. I know the nice human thing to do is to just help the person and answer their questions, but realistically, I'm not a salaried customer service person, so I can't give my services for free.

Throughout the call I let the prospect know that whatever answers they have can be answered in an appointment. They reply with "you can't just check if my doctors are in the network?" or "what's the difference between this silver plan and this other silver plan?" or "what do you think is my best option?"

I understand these people probably think we are customer service reps, and since humans usually miss about half of what is told to them, the live transfer representative telling them "I will now forward you to a licensed agent" probably goes in one ear and out the other.

Today I told someone "without an appointment I just cannot help you". They said, ok, thank you, and hung up. No loss to me, because helping this person means they would just go ahead and sign up directly.

I know the nice thing to do is to just help people, but I'm trying to run a business here.

What's the way to get an appointment when someone is like "but I just need a few questions answered before I sign up!"

When I was with Mother Mutual the motto was "the cost of information is the appointment!". I still try to do things this way. By having an appointment, I would clear up the prospect's confusion, sign them up, and get a commission. By answering them over the phone I get nothing because they'll say "Ok, thank you, you've been very helpful!" and hang up and sign up online.

Should I just give them healthcare.gov customer service number? :laugh:

My carrier often sends live transfers to my office. Sometimes the people calling are shopping around for coverage and only want a few questions answered. I know the nice human thing to do is to just help the person and answer their questions, but realistically, I'm not a salaried customer service person, so I can't give my services for free.

Throughout the call I let the prospect know that whatever answers they have can be answered in an appointment. They reply with "you can't just check if my doctors are in the network?" or "what's the difference between this silver plan and this other silver plan?" or "what do you think is my best option?"

I understand these people probably think we are customer service reps, and since humans usually miss about half of what is told to them, the live transfer representative telling them "I will now forward you to a licensed agent" probably goes in one ear and out the other.

Today I told someone "without an appointment I just cannot help you". They said, ok, thank you, and hung up. No loss to me, because helping this person means they would just go ahead and sign up directly.

I know the nice thing to do is to just help people, but I'm trying to run a business here.

What's the way to get an appointment when someone is like "but I just need a few questions answered before I sign up!"

Should I just give them healthcare.gov customer service number? :laugh:

Ask them where they're signing up...then tell them that's where they should be asking their questions.

Life, most of these transfers for blue are exactly that, customer service, get rid of them fast and move on to the next. I tell them who ever signed them up is their agent.

Answer their questions, and add value.
Tell them you only get paid commission if they do business with you.
They get you for free and can help them avoid the headaches of applying.
Ask for referrals if they felt the info was useful.

Add water & stir, worked well for me for 10+ years

I would normally agree with you YA, but the people on the other end of the phone have been on the phone up to an hour or so going from this person to that person at blue and finally transferred to a call center that they explain what they need and it doesn't matter to that unlicensed call center person who they transfer them to and they end up at a broker's office and when you ask them questions they blow up, which is understandable. The majority, probably around 90% are current clients of someone within the system and want to know about their plan that they don't even know the number, then they are po'd because you as an agent cannot look them up in the system. I don't know anyone that can look them up in the system unless you are the writing agent. By this time asking them for referrals is futile. Yep, we probably could re enroll them but would you work for free? I only do so much charity in a day. It would be different if we could write for other company's then we could put them with other's but we can't and we captive agents need new business.

One thing for sure if there was more time in oep this year blue would be losing more than they are with the system I described above. One day if they keep up with the 20-40% rate increases they will not be a dominate force in Florida. If Assurant can keep up the momentum and networks and pay the networks unlike H and U they will be dominant.

Back