I Wish Health Insurance Was the Most Wasteful Purchase of my Life

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
When I started selling life insurance a line I would use sincerely was that "I hope this is the worst purchase of your life because it means you'll be able to spend a lot of time with your family and friends". Unfortunately health insurance on my little girl has turned out to be a huge financial win.

My little girl is 15 months old. About four months after she was born she started having seizures which has resulted in an incredible amount of healthcare expense, including but not limited to 10 days at Children's National Hospital, one drug alone that s $10,000/month, and this Friday she's having surgery to remove a tuber from her brain. We have a killer Kaiser plan I got from an agent on here and my wife couldn't be happier with the insurance. There are a lot of expenses that aren't covered ($300/month for special formula, $150/month for syringes, etc), but for heartbreaking as it is to have this type of need for health insurance, I'm sure it would be significantly worse if it was bankrupting me in the process and/or I had to find creative ways to pay for the surgery she needs.

The good news is that the surgeon does this exact procedure once or twice a week and has been doing it for years so as far as brain surgery goes it's fairly routine; it also typically has extremely positive outcomes.

If anyone feels like they're getting ripped off by their insurance premiums, I'd happy trade them so they could "get their money's worth" out of it.

When I started selling life insurance a line I would use sincerely was that "I hope this is the worst purchase of your life because it means you'll be able to spend a lot of time with your family and friends". Unfortunately health insurance on my little girl has turned out to be a huge financial win.

My little girl is 15 months old. About four months after she was born she started having seizures which has resulted in an incredible amount of healthcare expense, including but not limited to 10 days at Children's National Hospital, one drug alone that s $10,000/month, and this Friday she's having surgery to remove a tuber from her brain. We have a killer Kaiser plan I got from an agent on here and my wife couldn't be happier with the insurance. There are a lot of expenses that aren't covered ($300/month for special formula, $150/month for syringes, etc), but for heartbreaking as it is to have this type of need for health insurance, I'm sure it would be significantly worse if it was bankrupting me in the process and/or I had to find creative ways to pay for the surgery she needs.

The good news is that the surgeon does this exact procedure once or twice a week and has been doing it for years so as far as brain surgery goes it's fairly routine; it also typically has extremely positive outcomes.

If anyone feels like they're getting ripped off by their insurance premiums, I'd happy trade them so they could "get their money's worth" out of it.

Josh, your little girl's in my prayers. Wishing her the best with the surgery.

Prayers to your family Josh. I hope that surgery can fix her condition. Keep us updated.

Fortunately the insurance is doing a great job. Unfortunately she is so sick she actually qualifies for Medicaid under a disability program as well so Medicaid is paying for any copays/cost shares/etc, regardless of my income.

Last edited:
Surgery is done and it went perfectly! They took a tuber (like a tumor, but made of nerves) out of her head that was 80% of the size of a golfball. Should be out of the hospital by Monday and this will potentially take her from ~20 seizures a day to zero!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and I'm thrilled to have good news to share!

Surgery is done and it went perfectly! They took a tuber (like a tumor, but made of nerves) out of her head that was 80% of the size of a golfball. Should be out of the hospital by Monday and this will potentially take her from ~20 seizures a day to zero! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and I'm thrilled to have good news to share!

So glad to hear things went well!

Keep us updated

Surgery is done and it went perfectly! They took a tuber (like a tumor, but made of nerves) out of her head that was 80% of the size of a golfball. Should be out of the hospital by Monday and this will potentially take her from ~20 seizures a day to zero!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and I'm thrilled to have good news to share!

Happy for your daughter, you and your family Josh!:)

Back