Insight into United Health One's Effective Date Change

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
I've been pondering United Heath One's recent change in effective dates from basically choosing any effective date to 30 days out.

Then I got this:

*Coverage effective dates for Golden Rule renewable health plans will be the later of 30 days after an application is received or the date requested by the customer (but no greater than 60 days).

*Also, the 14-day waiting period for illness following the effective date of coverage will be eliminated, so there will no longer be separate effective dates for injury and illness.

Since they have decided to eliminate their policy of not covering illnesses within 14 days of the effective date they are protecting themselves by requiring 30 day effective dates.

Pretty slick! They're using smoke and mirrors to appear more "consumer friendly" ahead of the inevitable tightening of the market as we near 2011.

I talked with my rep this morning and he said they were doing this to prepare against folks gaming the system when automatic issue comes around. He told me most companie are already doing similar things. I told him not all companies, such as my state's BC/BS. In addition, I asked what if one applies and 3 days before the effective date they go to the hospital with chest pains, are you going to have the insured sign a health statement as a delivery requirement like many life companies do? The answer was no, so I assume the insured must volunteer if they have had a change in health, said no one had brought that up, duh.

yet more unscrupulous business dealings from the "golden rule" folks

with a golden rule like that, who needs the Bible?

golden rule has been one of the most consumer-unfriendly and agent-unfriendly companies in this business EVER

their conduct (rescissions, etc.) are a prime reason behind the reform movement.

If you want to know who to be p*ssed at, it's Mr. Rooney and his successors in interest who for whatever reason chose to keep doing business "as usual" in Indianapolis

I hate to say it but I rarely have problems with GR. In fact, I rarely talk with them. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Manning is a safer bet but I think Rodgers (yes, I said that) will ultimately put up better numbers with his rushing yards.

Have to agree, no problems with GR.

Garrard will rush for more TD's than both, but he has no one to throw to.

Miss the forum, John, Bob and Ed.

That block of business has been losing money for awhile. This has nothing to do with health reform. They haven't been competitive and agents still sell it so instead of pulling out of the state altogether they are lowering the commish to get agents to stop selling it. There is nothing to be worried about here.

This is not a new thing. Its been in their plan contract since they launched.
They also have a 90 wait on wellness and some 6 month wait on specific things. Hernia, Adenoids and a couple of other things.

If the applicant's health changes before the effective date it is their responsibility to notify the carrier. This is true with all carriers, not just GR.

This new rule means even less business coming their way. Can't tell you how many calls I get that start out "My COBRA is expiring in a week and I need coverage . . ."

The bad news is, GR is just about the only carrier still offering riders in GA so they are still my "go to" carrier for folks too sick to qualify for other carriers or where the rate up is absurd.

Back