Kidney Transplant, Medicare Runs Out

Jason Janus

Expert
Got a client who is looking for health insurance for her family. Husband had kidney transplant few years back and his medicare is running out end of September. He was diagnosed with chronic glomerulonephritis. I can give her and her daughter a plan through Golden Rule or Aetna but they won't cover him. He's a small business owner and I was trying to go the small group route, but don't see it working out.

Any suggestions on how to write this or if it can be written with the kidney issue? Thanks.

Got a client who is looking for health insurance for her family. Husband had kidney transplant few years back and his medicare is running out end of September. He was diagnosed with chronic glomerulonephritis. I can give her and her daughter a plan through Golden Rule or Aetna but they won't cover him. He's a small business owner and I was trying to go the small group route, but don't see it working out.

Any suggestions on how to write this or if it can be written with the kidney issue? Thanks.

I don't understand. You said his Medicare is "running out". What exactly do you mean by that?

From the time of the kidney transplant, medicare gave him three years of coverage. I spoke with her about verifying it because I could have sworn he had up to 93 months after he returned to work to receive coverage. She verified last week and Medicare said it's up end of September. Does that make sense?

But remember, if you like your current plan, you can keep it.
I heard that somewhere.....

Dan

Actually, I'm smart enough to realize that rules don't apply to everyone the same......

Nobody should lose their insurance just because they get sick.....
Think I heard that somewhere as well!!!!

Dan

From the time of the kidney transplant, medicare gave him three years of coverage. I spoke with her about verifying it because I could have sworn he had up to 93 months after he returned to work to receive coverage. She verified last week and Medicare said it's up end of September. Does that make sense?

the client may qualify for a SEP. Is the client off of dialysis? Will they Still be enrolled in Part A and Eligible for Part B? MA could be the answer.. if no dialysis or possibly SNP. Where is the client located?

If your clients are in Michigan like your state flag just put him with BCBS. You can put them all with BCBS or the others with another carrier, your (their) choice.

PA, I'm guessing he doesn't have Part A, Part B or Part Anything because he's under 65 and Medicare is going bye-bye.

Back