Last Year ACA Enrollee Can't Be Verified This Year

bigeats

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
A client whom I enrolled around this time last year in an Obamacare subsidized plan is now NOT recognized in the system. Oh her account is there... but when we got to the end of this year's questions - the website said that her identity could not be verified, and that she would have to call Experian to get verified.

Experian couldn't identify her - and couldn't even find her in the system... so she called the phone number for healthcare.gov - and they, too, could not find her in the system. That was two weeks ago... yesterday, she called up to see if they had found her in the system, yet... and they had not.

Any idea as to how to deal with this? I told her to call back and ask for a supervisor - but quite frankly, I don't know if that will help, either.

I'm all ears for ideas or similar stories.

The subsidy is tied to the SS# (when you use Sherpa or another WBE).

The system uses whatever income you report & the household size to calculate appropriate subsidy.

I have NEVER had anyone denied enrollment with Sherpa.
(.....even people who could not verify their identity on HC.gov).
I've specifically used Sherpa for people like this.

The SS# is tied to the Sherpa application, which is entered into the government system (from your Sherpa app).

The system will figure it out.....or.....give them 90 days to submit proof-of-legal-US-residency (or whatever the system wants to ask for).

If it asks for proof of legal residency, you can send in a SS card or driver's license (or any of the documents suggested in client's Govt Eligibility Letter....that Sherpa delivers to YOUR email box & THEIR email box).

It's sometimes difficult to verify identity for people who've never owned a credit card....like young people......or others who live a low-profile life.

Thanks... so if I am understanding this correctly - the enrollee will simply have to pay the FULL premium until the subsidy can be linked...

... not sure that will be an option for this particular enrollee.

Thanks... so if I am understanding this correctly - the enrollee will simply have to pay the FULL premium until the subsidy can be linked...

... not sure that will be an option for this particular enrollee.

The enrollee pays the REDUCED premium immediately (by Jan 1st).
Then, IF the Eligibility Letter ASKS for additional information, they have 90 days to provide that info.

By the way, I have clients who could NOT get Identity Verified at HC.gov....but were NEVER asked to prove anything after a HealthSherpa submission. They got their subsidy for the entire year. Everything flowed smoothly.

Last edited:
The enrollee pays the REDUCED premium immediately (by Jan 1st).
Then, IF the Eligibility Letter ASKS for additional information, they have 90 days to provide that info.

By the way, I have clients who could NOT get Identity Verified at HC.gov....but were NEVER asked to prove anything after a ------------ submission. They got their subsidy for the entire year. Everything flowed smoothly.

Or via an enrollment platform like ACAExpress Home Page - ACAExpress.com as well.. :)

Back