Medi -Share and Others Are Baffling

HealthGuy

Guru
1000 Post Club
How can Christian 'cost sharing' members get around the ACA law?
I was reading on the Samaritan Ministries website and the Medi-Share website that members are:

1. NOT subject to the ACA law or penalties and

2. Supposedly members do get some pretty high out of pocket 'coverage'..I saw one plan that was like $250K of coverage (like a crappy short term plan) and another plan with 'unlimited' coverage

I seriously wonder how these groups actually 'cover' claims after the deductible.

Any folks here have any recent experience with people on these cost sharing plans. I'm not trying to dog them, but I just lost another insured family to them.

I refuse to debate clients buying these plans. Like talking to a brick wall.
I know there have been some threads but I am AMAZED that they are supposedly working though a work around on the ACA penalty if you are a member of one of these.

The family that dropped their insurance was by no measure "Biblical" or even religious. I guess they are now.

Insights please, and I"m not trying to bust on these concepts.
It just amazes me that they really provide any level of security AND now they get around the law.

Essentially is there anything truly 'insurance like' about these plans?
Such as repricing, any real extensive coverage? Hard to believe they have 'unlimited coverage'...This isn't even insurance!

Don't know the inner workings but religious organizations do. They just featured an article on them today but I forgot where. I'll post link if I find it.

Google search turns up lots of info.

Here is the article the doctor is referring to:
Affordable Care Act exemptions mean millions don’t have to sign up - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Looks like a hope and a "prayer" to me. What gets me is they don't have any "secret sauce" to avoid claims, and the high costs of health care. They don't have a network, I'm sure most doctors won't take a non-insurance client unless an emergency, and you won't know how or if the claims are paid.

I had one client yesterday, who has a 10k value Aetna plan now, paying $140/mo for him and 1 kid that is terming at end of year. Priced him on ACA Assurant 6k HSA for $360/mo. But Medishare is quoting him $300/mo. Certainty and tax deductions is probably the better choice in his situation.

It's actually written in the PPACA law, that medi-share and a few others got a special exemption from the law.

From a Medishare member's blog: collierbaseball.blogspot.com
Sourced from This Forum: Medi-share | SparkPeople

"Members 18 years or older who do not follow the Christian lifestyle will have their membership cancelled. Examples of behavior that can lead to non-sharing and/or cancellation of membership include, but are not limited to:
• the use of tobacco in any form
• the abuse of drugs including legal drugs, such as, alcohol, prescription and over-the-counter medications
• sexual relations outside of traditional Christian marriage
• participation in activities that represent a willful disregard for personal safety"

And we think ObamaCare wants to control our lives? HA! Can't you just see the MediShare "underwriters" scouring over your medical records when a big claim is filed, looking for signs of tobacco in your blood test?

I wonder if being cast out of Medishare heaven would qualify the sinner for an ObamaCare Special Enrollment Period?
ac

From a Medishare member's blog: collierbaseball.blogspot.com
Sourced from This Forum: Medi-share | SparkPeople

"Members 18 years or older who do not follow the Christian lifestyle will have their membership cancelled. Examples of behavior that can lead to non-sharing and/or cancellation of membership include, but are not limited to:
• the use of tobacco in any form
• the abuse of drugs including legal drugs, such as, alcohol, prescription and over-the-counter medications
• sexual relations outside of traditional Christian marriage
• participation in activities that represent a willful disregard for personal safety"

And we think ObamaCare wants to control our lives? HA! Can't you just see the MediShare "underwriters" scouring over your medical records when a big claim is filed, looking for signs of tobacco in your blood test?

I wonder if being cast out of Medishare heaven would qualify the sinner for an ObamaCare Special Enrollment Period?
ac

No sep Allen... Not insurance.....no sep for the sinner.....I deal with these all the time... Normal for me...

No sep Allen... Not insurance.....no sep for the sinner.....I deal with these all the time... Normal for me...

So they come to you in good faith to confess and repent, but you must turn them away? It looks like Obama's Medishare waiver turned out to be a curse for those who were forced to leave. Thanks for the feedback Tater.
ac

well, that's the way I see it allen.... corse some on here see stumping a toe generates an SEP... I tend to take a more conservative approach

On talk radio today I heard the host mention Obama is trying to cover sex change operations under ACA while mandating abortion coverage but not requiring fertility treatment
Don Levit

So they come to you in good faith to confess and repent, but you must turn them away? It looks like Obama's Medishare waiver turned out to be a curse for those who were forced to leave. Thanks for the feedback Tater.
ac

When I get those calls (shocking in the Bible belt) they don't want to repent. They have cancer and realize the policy doesn't pay anything and they have to come up with the cash for chemo.

Back