Medical Insurance Question

jzhang172

Hi, my medical insurance is APWU cigna with mental health being covered by Value Options. It's listed on the back of the card.

I began seeing a therapist for the first time a little more than 3 weeks ago. Before I saw her, I asked if she accepted APWU cigna and she said she did which was true when I checked with APWU. However, because it was a therapist, it falls under mental health and doesn't concern APWU at all but Value Options.

After 3 weeks of going to her, I decided that I would see another therapist because I just didn't feel right with this one. I recieved an e-mail from her saying that APWU has nothing to do with covering this because it is not mental health and she is not a provider until Value Options and now I would have to pay out of pocket for this.

I felt frustrated after getting this e-mail for several reasons.
-I was notified about this 3 weeks after seeing her. Couldn't she have found out that APWU doesn't cover me before that?
-What is the point of telling me that she accepts APWU cigna if seeing her will never fall under cigna's plan but Value Options because seeing a therapist is mental health. There is no point in even saying you accept APWU cigna as a plan because cigna does not handle mental health.
-I am brand new to medical insurance so I understand if people say that I could have checked with the medical insurance, called them and verified that she was covered, but the thing is, I called APWU about seeing a therapist, and they verified that this therapist was under APWU. However, noone referred me to value options even after they were told it was a therapist. Obviously a therapist is for mental health, so how did the doctor nor APWU not refer me to the right department.

I just find this incredibly frustrating because these are two parties that have much more experience than me in this area, and neither of them pointed this out.

I plan on appealing this, and I was looking for other people's thoughts about this and ideas how I can fight this so I can get some reimbursement out of this.

Hi, my medical insurance is APWU cigna with mental health being covered by Value Options. It's listed on the back of the card.

I began seeing a therapist for the first time a little more than 3 weeks ago. Before I saw her, I asked if she accepted APWU cigna and she said she did which was true when I checked with APWU. However, because it was a therapist, it falls under mental health and doesn't concern APWU at all but Value Options.

After 3 weeks of going to her, I decided that I would see another therapist because I just didn't feel right with this one. I recieved an e-mail from her saying that APWU has nothing to do with covering this because it is not mental health and she is not a provider until Value Options and now I would have to pay out of pocket for this.

I felt frustrated after getting this e-mail for several reasons.
-I was notified about this 3 weeks after seeing her. Couldn't she have found out that APWU doesn't cover me before that?
-What is the point of telling me that she accepts APWU cigna if seeing her will never fall under cigna's plan but Value Options because seeing a therapist is mental health. There is no point in even saying you accept APWU cigna as a plan because cigna does not handle mental health.
-I am brand new to medical insurance so I understand if people say that I could have checked with the medical insurance, called them and verified that she was covered, but the thing is, I called APWU about seeing a therapist, and they verified that this therapist was under APWU. However, noone referred me to value options even after they were told it was a therapist. Obviously a therapist is for mental health, so how did the doctor nor APWU not refer me to the right department.

I just find this incredibly frustrating because these are two parties that have much more experience than me in this area, and neither of them pointed this out.

I plan on appealing this, and I was looking for other people's thoughts about this and ideas how I can fight this so I can get some reimbursement out of this.

You should have checked. It is your responsibility not the doctors. In these case it is better to call the insurer and make sure.

You should have checked. It is your responsibility not the doctors. In these case it is better to call the insurer and make sure.

If they called to verify a mental health provider was in network I can understand the confusion. If the doc is in network I would assume their primary care provided was a covered service. Why wouldn't you?

Back